FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 attempting to auto-upgrade (I think). How can I stop this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightBulb

Cadet
I have a monitor hooked up to my FreeNAS box & I have a page full of alerts/errors.
Code:
Mar  7  19:41:06 freenas alert.py  [freenasOS.Update:1564] Could not open sequence file in cache directory /var/db/system/update: [Errno2] No such file or directory:  '/var/db/system/update/SEQUENCE'
Mar  7  19:41:06 freenas alert.py  [freenasOS.Update:1111] Cache directory /var/db/system/update does not have a sequence file

...with these two lines of 'alerts' repeating every hour.

My FreeNAS install had the "Automatically check for updates" radio button checked (located under the 'System > Update' tab).
  1. Is the auto-update something that can damage my install &/or potentially result in me losing my data?
  2. Is this a risky thing to have happen &/or should I want it to update if everything seems stable?
  3. Is there any way for me to stop this attempted update through the shell or GUI interfaces?

Last edited:
By default, the system will automatically check for updates. But, it will not automatically perform the update. The update itself won't occur until you click the "Apply Pending Updates" button.

So, you should be able to simply ignore this hourly check. You could see if a reboot clears it up. Failing that, your log entries look similar to Bug 14378 (which is marked as Resolved). The troubleshooting and rectification steps in that bug history may be relevant your situation.

LightBulb

Cadet
By default, the system will automatically check for updates. But, it will not automatically perform the update. The update itself won't occur until you click the "Apply Pending Updates" button.

So, you should be able to simply ignore this hourly check. You could see if a reboot clears it up. Failing that, your log entries look similar to Bug 14378 (which is marked as Resolved). The troubleshooting and rectification steps in that bug history may be relevant your situation.
thanks, will look into what you've suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.