FreeNAS 11.3U4.1 to TrueNAS 12.0 Stuck

ninjai

Explorer
Hi,

This is my second time trying to update to 12.0. I get stuck here:
truenas-stuck.jpg

It's been here about 6 hours. I can, of course, ctrl+c and get past it but the system is boned. All kinds of python errors, web UI doesn't load (but CLI is fine) and other oddities. What is this script doing? Any way I can monitor it? This is direct IPMI into the server and I can't think of a way to hit another TTY while this is ongoing.

ninjai

Explorer
Update: after another several hours it looks like the system finally booted. It's spitting images across the screen being unable to resolve pool.ntp.org, zpool list only shows my boot pool, the web ui redirects HTTP->HTTPS, however the page just says it's unable to connect.

Update: Probably useful if I list some hardware:
ComponentBrandModelProduct Page
ProcessorIntel Core i3 4150Intel Core i3 I3-4150 Haswell 3.5GHZ Processor LGA1150 3MB Cache Retailhttp://ark.intel.com/products/77486/Intel-Core-i3-4150-Processor-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz
MemorySamsungSamsung DDR3-1600 8GB/1Gx72 ECC CL11 Server Memoryhttps://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=D38GRE160S ***32 GB total
MotherboardSupermicroSupermicro X10SLL-F Xeon E3 LGA1150 DDR3 ECC C222 6SATA 3PCIE IPMI 2GBE mATX Motherboardhttp://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SLL-F.cfm
FreeNAS OS StorageKingstonDatatraveler 100 G3http://www.kingston.com/en/usb/personal_business#dt100g3 **** This has since been replaced with something else about 8 months ago
Hard Disk StorageWestern DigitalWD Red 3TB NAS Diskshttp://www.wdc.com/en/products/prod...ollateral&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=product *** 6 disks

Last edited:

Brad T

Dabbler
Hey @ninjai ... Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same version upgrade woes; 11.3-U5 to 12.0 or 12.0-U1.

I've tried upgrade using GUI, using manual update .tar file and also USB/.iso and select upgrade to both/either of 12.0-RELEASE or 12.0-U1

I get the same situation... hang on /usr/local/sbin/migrate for hours and then only FreeBSD is installed without any of the TN layer.

I have a server built with commodity parts and an HP MicroServer that both exhibit this behaviour.

Thanks for sharing any ideas/suggestions.

ninjai

Explorer
Hey @ninjai ... Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same version upgrade woes; 11.3-U5 to 12.0 or 12.0-U1.

I've tried upgrade using GUI, using manual update .tar file and also USB/.iso and select upgrade to both/either of 12.0-RELEASE or 12.0-U1

I get the same situation... hang on /usr/local/sbin/migrate for hours and then only FreeBSD is installed without any of the TN layer.

I have a server built with commodity parts and an HP MicroServer that both exhibit this behaviour.

Thanks for sharing any ideas/suggestions.

Yes, but you're not going to like my answer.

So I battled this one for days, trying various things, nothing worked. One day I said the hell with it and booted back to 11.3 (like I had so many times before) but this time I didn't realize that I forgot to change my default boot environment. Fast forward a week and we just so happen to have a power outage. I can't recall if my NAS shut down gracefully or not, at that time I think the USB port that is connected to my NAS was misconfigured (port number changed on me by itself at some point..)... but in any event it booted back up in about the same timespan it normally would, however the following day I'm surprised when I SSH in and see the mention of "TrueNAS" on the MOTD. Sure enough, it was updated. Haven't looked back since but it's a bizarre one for sure.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this one but I think this is a rare thing to run into since I hadn't heard of anyone else experiencing this issue.

If I were you I would possibly try installing, watch it fail, reboot into 11.3 and leave it for a couple days or something and leave the default boot env alone, then reboot it and see what happens. That's effectively what occurred in my case

sretalla