FreeNAS 11.2 update killed data

Apollo

Wizard
In the old GUI, go to "Reporting" => "Partition" and explore the graphs for the Pool containing the missing folders/dataset. If data has been lost, you should be able to see the Green and Red area change for the Pool and the corresponding datasets (You will need to press the zoom-in and zoom-out icons and the left arrow on the graph to get a better view of the span) . If the change is substential. and you will be able to see the Min and Max value, based on that you can tell if you actually lost data and when.

wlagarde

Dabbler
Well unfortunately the logs begin with the fresh install of 11.1 so that won't work.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You'll want to search for old logs in your system dataset.

wlagarde

Dabbler
So I'm reporting back in to confirm I did in fact lose the data. I have recovered everything but my movies and will re-encode these from disk and after that I'll be all set - but reverted back to 11.1-U6.3. The data I lost was all files contained in my "movies", "music", and "software" folders. I did have a PLEX installation pointing to the "movies" and "tv shows" folders so that may have had something to do with it but the fact that I didn't lose the "tv shows" folder data and did lose the "software" folder data suggests it didn't.

wlagarde

Dabbler
Last thing I would recommend to those upgrading is to at least detach your backup and disconnect it from the machine while upgrading as I had both my backup and main storage pool attached during the upgrade process as I couldn't have imagined I would lose data in both my main storage pool and my backup copy. Would also probably be a good idea to detach your main storage pool during the upgrade process and re-import it afterward.

wlagarde

Dabbler
After almost a year of waiting after what happened described in this thread I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from 11.1-U6 to 11.2-U7. I removed my old 11.1 SSD boot device and set it aside and started with a fresh installation of 11.2 on a new SSD boot device. From there I imported my main pool and backup pool and rebuilt the server from the ground up in terms of the configuration and iocage jails (PLEX media server). Other than a little hiccup with setting up PLEX (see post #16 here; https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/iocage-plex-metadata-and-transcoding-issue.60628/) everything went flawlessly and the system performs beautifully. Kudos to the devs as the current Freenas 11.2-U7 release is outstanding.