FreeNAS 11.2-RC2 --> any day now

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
They only want a narrow audience looking at the RC because it is still in development and they really don't want everyone jumping on it because there could still be problems with it.
That must be why it's on the download page, with the continuing false indication that only the 11.2 train supports plugins or virtualization:
upload_2018-11-18_21-41-51.png

Skro

Contributor
Chris Moore said:
FreeNAS 11.1-U7 was on the roadmap when I checked last week or the week before. Now it only shows TrueNAS 11.1-U7.

Nope, you're not mistaken. I have been watching the roadmap closely the last couple of weeks debating between waiting for 11.1-U7 and moving to 11.2 RC-2 or waiting for the official release.

It was listed as just 11.1-U7 until about 36 hours ago and then suddenly it changed to TrueNAS only. That made up my mind for me and I made to the move to 11.2 RC-2 today, but it's just my home server not for customers so I'm willing to be bug-bit...a little.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That must be why it's on the download page, with the continuing false indication that only the 11.2 train supports plugins or virtualization:
View attachment 26630
If they wanted everyone to go to the RC version, they would not have a link to the old version up there at all. I am sure they want more people to get on the RC2 so they can have a wider group of testers, but I don't think they are ready for everyone to jump on it.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't do it. Not without extensive testing first. The 11.1-U6 version is still the 'production' version and the RC version is still in development and bugs could be a problem.
We run Nextcloud in a jail at that site and we cannot update that because there are no packages for FreeBSD 11.1 anymore. The timing is really bad, this time.

Patrick

nifoc

Dabbler
I really hope they figure out a way to get to supported versions of FreeBSD faster.
11.1 has been EOL for a while now, and there was a 3 month grace period after 11.2 was released, so it's not like this happened out of the blue.

Hopefully it will not happen again once FreeBSD 11.3 is released.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I really hope they figure out a way to get to supported versions of FreeBSD faster.
11.1 has been EOL for a while now, and there was a 3 month grace period after 11.2 was released, so it's not like this happened out of the blue.

Hopefully it will not happen again once FreeBSD 11.3 is released.

Three months may sound like a lot but it is very fast for a whole system rewrite.
Even Microsoft gives you more time to move to the new version before they drop support.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

nifoc

Dabbler
Three months may sound like a lot but it is very fast for a whole system rewrite.

I know that FreeBSD does a lot in their point releases, but I really wouldn't call 11.1 to 11.2 a "whole system rewrite". Moving what's currently in FreeNAS 11.1 (so no new UI etc.) to a FreeBSD 11.2 base should've been doable.
It certainly was possible to release FreeNAS 11.0 three months after Corral (9.10 was based on FreeBSD 10, so that probably was closer to a "whole system rewrite").

Plus, while FreeBSD 11.2 was released in July (and 11.1 EOL'd 3 months later), the release schedule was actually announced in February.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Realistically, moving between point releases of FreeBSD should be painless. Hell, 9.3's middleware bits seemed to work just fine mounted on FreeBSD 10 when the loader got confused by two pools named freenas-boot. It's always going to be about the small risk of some obscure bit changing and nobody knows about it.

In practice, things aren't quite that simple in FreeNAS for a few reasons:
  • It's not based off 11.1-Release. It's something between 11.1 and 11.2.
  • Beyond that, iX cherry-picks lots of stuff, sometimes even from the next major version.
  • Resolving the resulting conflicts takes time, even if it's not particularly difficult (some parts may be).
  • So, you're left with the choice of investing significant resources to pull in all the stuff for an update and delaying the next major version or leaving people hanging for a bit. Neither is unequivocally better.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The rewrite I am talking about is the UI rewrite from 11.1 to 11.2 and I am sure that the decision was made to hold the underlying OS update until the UI update was ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

jlpellet

Patron
I installed rc2 over 11.1u6 & the only issue I've seen so far is that the pool size reported in reports seems to be in error andinconsistent with the info in the storage tab & the report detail. As shown in the attached screen shot, the report show a 9.99TB pool with both 4.51 & 2.89 TB free. The lowe # is correct. Thought I'd see if anyone else could confirm before filing a bug report.

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• rc2-pool-space reoprt-error.jpg
    rc2-pool-space reoprt-error.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 326

danb35

Hall of Famer
Part of what you're seeing goes back to a change made in 9.3--the larger "free" number represents the "raw" pool space (i.e., doesn't account for parity), while the smaller number does account for parity.

Status
Not open for further replies.