FreeBSD Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

krantz

Dabbler
Hello all:

I have some questions, and cannot seem to find any solution. I´ve been goggling for over 2 days.

1) I recently got a very strong 2U server with 6 SATA bays, 8 GB ram (expandable up to 32 GB); My current setup is 4 drives of 3 TB each + 2 drives of 1 TB each; total is a 7 TB ZFS environment mirrored. I attached a 50gb SSD as cache.

2) The processing power is overkill, serving files, time machines, movies, and backup storage is piece of cake for this machine.

3) obviously it doesn't have a strong vid card, nor i cant use it as a desktop (in fact I had to make substantial changes in my study room to accommodate it and keep it refrigerated and isolated).

4) I want to have a full FreeBSD installation at a jail (it doesn't make any sense having linux there, as the linux jails are only 32 bits, while the server´s architecture is x64).

5) I want this jail to serve for installing other tools and software running on graphical environment, so I can take advantage of the processing power (databases, IDE, etc)

6) Already installed a ports, xvnc, gnome2, portsmaster, etc etc. But I just cant seem to make it work and connect remotely via VNC to it. Everytime I make a VNC connection all i get is a gray screen.

7) I am not an expert on FreeBSD or Linux for these matters.

Is it possible to achieve what I want? if so, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

krantz

Dabbler
Nevermind.
Already solved it.

If anyone ever needs some info about this, plz consider:

1) Install a portsjail
2) update your ports tree (in doubt google it)
3) install xvnc and all dependencies of X
4) In my case, I installed Gnome2 port as window manager. so far is the most stable.
5) follow this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/creating-a-jail-with-vnc-server-on-freebsd (you can skip to the part where he says something about "Installing xorg and vnc in jail from packages"

Hope this helps.
-Kz

ctphillips

Dabbler
Nevermind.
Already solved it.

If anyone ever needs some info about this, plz consider:

1) Install a portsjail
2) update your ports tree (in doubt google it)
3) install xvnc and all dependencies of X
4) In my case, I installed Gnome2 port as window manager. so far is the most stable.
5) follow this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/creating-a-jail-with-vnc-server-on-freebsd (you can skip to the part where he says something about "Installing xorg and vnc in jail from packages"

Hope this helps.
-Kz

I don't find xvnc in my ports. I'm running a standard jail in FreeNAS 9.3. Can you assist? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.