Found a new interesting case online

craigdt

Explorer
Hey all,

So as someone who currently is running a FreeNAS server on a very poor quality 24bay server case. I have been keeping my eye out for more reputable brands for new server cases coming to market. Seems Silverstonetek has released a new 12bay server case.

Thought I would share it here incase someone is looking to make a new build.

Unfortunately I can't find any reviews on the case, as its very new, and I personally cant afford one at the moment. Plus Im holding out hope that they make a 24bay case sometime in the near future.

They also make 2U redundant power supplies that fit into the case with 3 different models, 2x600watts, 2x800watts and 2x1000watts

Best bit about Silverstonetek cases is they are generally easy to get in Australia, especially through the retail computer stores...

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you want decent airflow over your disks, you're going to need to do a lot of work to get that central wall mostly airtight and you'll want to swap the fans for something else (probably noctua) in order to get to a reasonable noise:airflow trade-off.

Etorix

Wizard
No, not Noctuas rather Delta or the like. This kind of rack-mount case demands thick industrial fans spinning at high speed to move enough air. I would hope that the standard fans are up tothe task… and also that silence is not expected.

craigdt

Explorer
No, not Noctuas rather Delta or the like. This kind of rack-mount case demands thick industrial fans spinning at high speed to move enough air. I would hope that the standard fans are up tothe task… and also that silence is not expected.

I agree, for server based cases I would expect the fans to push huge amounts of air at the sacrifice of sound, and to be in temperature managed environment. Looking at the pictures and size specification of the fans they do look like the high speed server variety. And a past review Ive read of their 20bay case indicated they are of high quality.

But unless someone does a review of this new one, we will never really know how good it is.

The internal fan wall though, sure has lots of leaking in it, that I do agree, but that wouldn't be hard to plug up.

@craigdt - I'm with you on the fan wall and air leakage. It could be just the marketing photos but I would expect some foam rubber gaskets around the wiring. I'd also be concerned about no specs on the fan flow and pressure (e.g., cfm and in Hg).

It is a pretty case, thought. Sort-of like my HP DL360 Gen8...

benlucier

Cadet
Unfortunately I can't find any reviews on the case, as its very new, and I personally cant afford one at the moment. Plus Im holding out hope that they make a 24bay case sometime in the near future.

They also make 2U redundant power supplies that fit into the case with 3 different models, 2x600watts, 2x800watts and 2x1000watts

I have this case and it's decent. Actually, better than I expected. I did notice they attached the drive enclosure to the case using standard hard drive screws and they were about 1/8" too long, preventing me from putting drives in #1, #4, #9, #12. I think the assembler just picked the wrong screw, and I used a strong pair of side cutters to snip the extra length.

Right now, I've only dropped a consumer-grade board with an i7 @4.2Ghz and ~8 drives mechanical drives, and 4 SSDs, with an SAS3008 HBA in IT mode. I passed on the power supply from Silverstone b/c they're pricey for what I wanted, although I haven't found a less expensive alternative yet that matches the form factor of their PSUs to fit in my chassis. I may have to drop $1200CAD for their PSU after all. Currently, I have the case running on a table with a standard ATX power supply, in the open air (not sealed up yet).

I wondered about heat and airflow too, so I'll keep you posted after I get this thing sealed up. Feel free to DM if you like and I'll be happy to answer any Qs.

JJDuru

Dabbler
I have this case and it's decent. Actually, better than I expected. I did notice they attached the drive enclosure to the case using standard hard drive screws and they were about 1/8" too long, preventing me from putting drives in #1, #4, #9, #12. I think the assembler just picked the wrong screw, and I used a strong pair of side cutters to snip the extra length.

Right now, I've only dropped a consumer-grade board with an i7 @4.2Ghz and ~8 drives mechanical drives, and 4 SSDs, with an SAS3008 HBA in IT mode. I passed on the power supply from Silverstone b/c they're pricey for what I wanted, although I haven't found a less expensive alternative yet that matches the form factor of their PSUs to fit in my chassis. I may have to drop $1200CAD for their PSU after all. Currently, I have the case running on a table with a standard ATX power supply, in the open air (not sealed up yet).

I wondered about heat and airflow too, so I'll keep you posted after I get this thing sealed up. Feel free to DM if you like and I'll be happy to answer any Qs.

Hi,

Regarding the SilverStone RM22-312, can you offer some insights on how is the case like after this many months of usage? Any kinks, complains?
Most importantly, have you noticed any SCSI errors and/or timeouts when paired with your HBA?

I'm about to drop some dough on a RM22-312, and I would REALLY like to avoid sending another chassis back to amazon.

Last edited: