Forum slow - Freenas download to take 16 hours !

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebznas

Explorer
Erm...guys....

I'm downloading the latest version of Freenas using the link on the Freenas site.

The 383MB download is going to take 16 hours to complete.

Jeez guys, someone fit a new elastic band to the interweb connection.

16 hours.....I mean...it's 2015 not 1996 !

gpsguy

I presume you managed to download it by now.

trebznas

Explorer
Can I ask, what was the last version of Freenas which can be used on non 64 bit hardware?

gpsguy

You can download it here: http://download.freenas.org/9.2.1.9/RELEASE/x86/

If you're running 32 bit hardware, you won't have enough RAM to support ZFS (requires 8GB at a minimum). You can use UFS instead, but realize that version 9.3 doesn't support it.

You might want to look at another project (NAS4free). It's RAM requirements are lower than FreeNAS. You can find out more information about it on their website - www.nas4free.org

trebznas

Explorer
Perfect, thanks.

It's good you told me that as I was trying to install the latest version on an old 32bit Micro ATX / 2.5" laptop HDD / 1GB RAM unit.

I've been running 0.7.2 Sabanda (revision 5543) - FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p3 (revision 199506) since Sat Nov 6 08:54:38 CET 2010. Not bad for a Freenas build. Not a single problem since the install date.

I'm building a new HTPC using the hardware from within my Freenas server. I planned to use some old PC unit I have to run Freenas as a backup only server having installed a single SSD HDD for the Kodi OS and a 2TB HDD for the media.

The media will be stored on the HTPC in the living room and the Freenas server will be booted once a month to complete an Rsynch over my LAN.

I still think it's fantastic that Freenas has been working flawlessly since Sat Nov 6 08:54:38 CET 2010 :)

Last edited:

gpsguy

trebznas

Explorer

You can download it here: http://download.freenas.org/9.2.1.9/RELEASE/x86/

If you're running 32 bit hardware, you won't have enough RAM to support ZFS (requires 8GB at a minimum). You can use UFS instead, but realize that version 9.3 doesn't support it.

You might want to look at another project (NAS4free). It's RAM requirements are lower than FreeNAS. You can find out more information about it on their website - www.nas4free.org

So, without reading right now as I'm looking after my daughter can I presume that version 9.2.1.9 is for me. I'll not be spending a whole lot of money on new hardware to see it booted once a month as a one of backup device.

Thanks for all the help so far by the way :smile:

gpsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.