Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieter Toews

Dabbler
hi all,

I forgot my forum password
2) tried to reset it
3) didn't see the reset in my email
4) can't find a admin email address to to send a message to ask for help with reseting my on the forum site or freenas.org.
5) checked in on irc

they said:

Code:
[11:40:12] <hydrian> dieterarn: Check your spam folder and made sure you're mail server is accepting any new mail?
[11:40:59] <dieterarn> its gmail so i'd think freenas would be considered clean by them but i'll have a look :)
[11:41:48] <hydrian> dieterarn: And if gmail was down, half the world would be complaining.
[11:41:59] <hydrian> ;-)
[11:42:03] <dieterarn> yup and gmail is saying:
[11:42:07] <dieterarn> Why is this message in Spam? It has a from address in freenas.org but has failed freenas.org's required tests for authentication.
[11:44:03] <hydrian> dieterarn: That's an odd sounding one.
[11:44:14] <LooX> it is a dns entry
[11:44:35] <LooX> now if i can recall how it is called
[11:45:26] <hydrian> LooX: It is the SPX record
[11:45:39] <ngilles> SPF
[11:45:43] <hydrian> LooX: err...SPF
[11:46:21] <LooX> yea.. just looked up
[11:46:24] <LooX> SPF gives other mailservers a way to verify that mail claiming to be from your domain is from one of your IP addresses.  They do this by checking a special TXT record you put in your DNS records.  It is an interesting way to prevent mail spoofing.

Anyway - looks like something might be a bit broken with the forum password reset...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's not much that can be done on the forum side. What will help is marking it as not spam, so that google learns from that.

Dieter Toews

Dabbler
hmm but dns problems with spf records? The "
Why is this message in Spam? It has a from address in FreeNAS.org but has failed FreeNAS.org's required tests for authentication" message from gmail seems to point toward freenas? no?. ... but ok i've marked my reset message as not spam... :smile:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
hmm but dns problems with spf records? The "
Why is this message in Spam? It has a from address in FreeNAS.org but has failed FreeNAS.org's required tests for authentication" message from gmail seems to point toward FreeNAS? no?. ... but ok i've marked my reset message as not spam... :smile:
He was saying that we can't do anything on the forums because we don't control the DNS settings. Those are in ixsystems control. Submit a bug report on the bug tracker so the guys and gals responsible for this will take care of it

Status
Not open for further replies.