For those who use vSphere, what version and what license level?

tux-box1

Dabbler
Hello, just want to hear from those who are actually using vSphere what version are you using(5.5+) and what licence level are you on(std, entp, entp+)
I have the essentials 6+ license and from what I can tell PCI-Passthrough and SR-IOV are locked behind a license wall.
I've checked the "free" version and they have even less features.
thanks.

olddog9

Dabbler

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I use the free license with ESXi 7 and PCI passthrough is available and works. I am more concerned that they do not support LACP outside of "distributed vswitch".

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Be aware that SR-IOV and PCI passthru are two very different things. SR-IOV allows you to pass through virtual functions of virtualization-capable hardware, so that a network card like the Intel X710 can offer up VF's to each of several VM's so that it looks and feels like they have a PCI passthru style directly attached hardware device. PCI passthru just removes the PCI device from ESXi and actually hands it to a single VM. One of these is clearly much greater than the other; PCI passthru has generally been available on the free hypervisor platform.

The normal way for home labbers to get access to SR-IOV is to sign up with VMUG Advantage EvalExperience, which is a ~$200 annual program to get evaluation versions of most of VMware's products for use in your home lab for training/learning purposes.

tux-box1

Dabbler
Be aware that SR-IOV and PCI passthru are two very different things. SR-IOV allows you to pass through virtual functions of virtualization-capable hardware, so that a network card like the Intel X710 can offer up VF's to each of several VM's so that it looks and feels like they have a PCI passthru style directly attached hardware device. PCI passthru just removes the PCI device from ESXi and actually hands it to a single VM. One of these is clearly much greater than the other; PCI passthru has generally been available on the free hypervisor platform.

The normal way for home labbers to get access to SR-IOV is to sign up with VMUG Advantage EvalExperience, which is a ~$200 annual program to get evaluation versions of most of VMware's products for use in your home lab for training/learning purposes.
I'll have to look in to that.
I wanted to ask as the support for my essentials license is up for renewal, the vmWare rep I've been talking to has been .... elusive.

IOSonic

Explorer
I was up until recently using 7.0 Enterprise at work. If you are looking for a full license, consider getting your company to get you a VMUG advantage membership for a year ($150-200, IIRC). You can download 1-year trial licenses for everything you want to play with -- vCenter, NSX, Horizons...all the things.