vulnerability scanning tool and interpretation/impact of results

johnnyt

Cadet
Through my experimentation with Proxmox (for other than TrueNAS), I just became aware of a vulnerability scanning tool (https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker) that works with FreeBSD and reports several vulnerabilities on my TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 system.

Has anyone run it on version 12 or 13? Are there any/some/many false positives? How many of the issues found would not be of particular concern as long as TrueNAS is behind a firewall? What if I wanted to expose some plug-ins/ports (e.g. Plex Server and UnifiController) to the internet? Should I just plain avoid doing that?

Also, some of the mitigations are flagged as having medium or high impact, or potentially significant impact depending on the use of the feature that's affected I presume. For some or all of those (found at the link above), in balance might I be better to leave them unmitigated since they are behind a firewall? There is a post on this forum by someone who turned off all OS mitigations implemented. Not sure I want to go there.

In my case I'll certainly have to look at a BIOS upgrade because the last time I checked for one was maybe 3-5 years ago when I was running Windows on the machine I now use for TrueNAS. I do have to consider that the system may be too old for BIOS and/or OS level mitigations and consider either limiting how I use it even behind a firewall, or upgrade the h/w.

I've attached the output from the script and the colorful summary the script provides in the shell.

Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• TrueNAS-vulnerabilities.JPG
    TrueNAS-vulnerabilities.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 127
  • TrueNAS-Vulnerabilities.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 122

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Spectre/Meltdown and similar attacks concern side channels in a multi tenant environment. I.e. in a cloud hosting situation customer A might be capable of spying on encrpytion keys of customer B.

How many untrusted users have actively running applications or interactive logins on your TrueNAS?

What it would need for this to become relevant is

- TrueNAS accessable from the Internet - which you should never have, anyway
- so let's assume you are exposing somethin running in a jail - I do expose jailed or VM'ed applications to the public
- then we need a remote code execution vulnerability in such an application
- and then a privilege escalation vulnerability in that same jail or VM
- only then can someone via Meltdown-like vulnerabilities try to get at secrets from other jails, VMs or the TrueNAS host itself
- and then use these secrets to attack ... what? if the host is not reachable from outside? attacker already got root in one jail, will probably grab the application's database, install a password logging thingy, a mining bot, ...

So due diligence is always necessary when running Internet facing software, but Meltdown/Spectre is the least of you concerns, IMHO.
Unless you use TrueNAS as a public VM hosting platform, which (hopefully) nobody does.