SOLVED For those who love ZFS ...

averyfreeman

Contributor
NASbox said:
Windows badly needs an easy way to snapshot a system so that botched updates, ransomware, malware can all be "rolled back" out of existance. .

Ah yes I kinda glossed over the 'snapshots for OS rollbacks' thing - yep, that's not happening any time soon.

Get yourself a copy of Macrium reflect, a spare similarly-sized or larger HDD than your OS drive, and create a boot USB and/or an additional EFI boot dialog for your Macrium recovery boot partition and automate image backups.

It's saved my butt a time or two. I don't see that technology evolving fast enough to forego the tried-and-true methods of today.

Edit: You could avoid getting a new HDD by saving the images to a network drive on your NAS. Whatever you do, take images. Take them well and take them often and TEST THE RECOVERY PROCEDURE once it's setup! :)

NASbox

Guru
For the time being, it's data file systems only. I doubt booting is even on the radar. But, home directories and programs, maybe.
MS makes it so hard to separate programs/data from the operating system with regular NTFS, I can imagine what that is going to be like on ZFS!

You have it wrong. After all, FreeNAS supports MS-Windows clients. It's a bit tricky. I've followed the OpenZFS mailing lists for a year or so, including the ZFS on Windows. They have had to re-think how to store MS-Windows permissions in a more standard way. This will allow a ZFS pool to be used by *nix & Samba with the same results.
OK, I thought that was handled by Samba/FreeNAS... I learned something. I must admit that I don't really understand windows permissions or got into nix permissions much beyond the standard rwxrwxrwx. Is this likely to make FreeNAS play nicely with both Nix and Windows sharing the same dataset?

averyfreeman

Contributor
MS makes it so hard to separate programs/data from the operating system with regular NTFS, I can imagine what that is going to be like on ZFS!

OK, I thought that was handled by Samba/FreeNAS... I learned something. I must admit that I don't really understand windows permissions or got into nix permissions much beyond the standard rwxrwxrwx. Is this likely to make FreeNAS play nicely with both Nix and Windows sharing the same dataset?

I think so. I'm going to do more research into it and maybe even try a VM - I've been using OmniOS long enough now that I'm starting to forget, and my FreeBSD VMs I've since disconnected from Samba because I got tired of maintaining them.

For Solarish OS we just use the MMC snap-in from a Windows box. Why not give it a shot and see if it works?

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...t-smb-cifs-share-permission-management.15847/

I doubt it would hurt anything if it doesn't work, and if it does it's gotta be a million times easier than trying to do it from Samba.

I honestly hate Samba, I've spent countless hours working on getting it and kerberos working properly on several different OS and it seems like when I finally get it working right for domain authentication and file sharing the developers will break compatibility and a package update will require me to troubleshoot countless more hours to get it working right again.

Using FreeNAS should help against that a bit as the developers are better about consistency of compatibility than vanilla FreeBSD or Linux maintainers. Take your pick on which one is least stable, rolling OS obviously worse and Debian and CentOS slightly better than most, but all require reading BEFORE updating Samba packages or it WILL break. It's one of those packages where it's best to hold it back as long as you can, unless you really need a new feature.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'm actually curious now, I'll get back to you. A great person to write about this subject is @anodos - I think he's the author of that link I sent you about ACLs a few messages back, he's personally helped me when I was having trouble and was really helpful.

averyfreeman

Contributor

I guess they will never be directly compatible because of the very different permission/ACL systems on Unix/Windows -- or do I have that wrong as well?

I may have been reading too much into this but I had the feeling you were curious about Windows permissions compatibility of FreeNAS, or maybe I was just looking for an excuse to tinker and write a long-ass post, so I took it upon myself to do a test of it's OOB compatibility in a domain environment.

I realize you were meaning ZFS permissions in Windows which is a lot more nuanced, but I'll try and cover that as best I can towards the end, while admitting I don't know a whole lot about it. I believe it is done through Samba using some convoluted SID-->NFSv4-->POSIX ACL translation, but the real questions most people want answered is "does it work?" and how well, what's broken and what's not, etc...

For reference, I'm writing this from a laptop running Windows LTSC 2019, I have a small ESXi 6.7U1 homelab with two hosts and VCSA, and two of the VMs are Server 2012R2 domain controllers with AD Unix attributes (which has been depreciated - grr)

Honestly I haven't used FreeNAS in about a year, I had switched to lighter OS that are not appliance-style so I could do more on-the-fly configuration (I got annoyed that I had to do everything from the web UI for changes to be persistent, but I caveat that by saying that's a GOOD thing for most people). All in all, it's a great concept for bringing top-flight FS features to more people and it looks like it's progressing really quickly. I can tell after 30 min of using it that the AD domain compatibility has grown by leaps and bounds.

I think to your first point Unix permissions are the 'standard' chmod 0-7 scale 3 (or 4 if you're getting deep into it) column permissions (e.g. 750 = root write, user/group read/execute, everyone else nothing). As long as you remember which column is for which user level, that's all you really need to know. Ownership is attributed to the user:group (that's the second column) using chown. If you're in that group or that user, that second column applies to you, unless you're root - that's the first column. If you're neither, that's the 3rd column for everybody else. There's a bit more to it, of course, but it's fundamentally very straight-forward and simple (which is refreshing).

For Windows, you have security identifiers or 'SIDs'. Like Unix, a bunch of system accounts are present by default and have common SIDs and names which like the Unix names + UIDs are common across most systems. If you want to read more about that, I turned up this interesting document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/secauthz/well-known-sids

There's also relative IDs, RIDs, which I *believe* are basically analogous to Unix groups but can encompass more things than just groups, like security designations (don't ask me what the difference is). But essentially they're just a way to make certain things apply to more than one SID, like groups for users.

Anyway, to see how the compatibility is out of the box, I set up a FreeNAS VM. All I've done so far is run through the wizard (had to do it in the legacy web UI since I couldn't find it in the new UI, but it looks nice nonetheless), connect to the domain, make a pool and make an SMB share. So far it looks good, here's my # getent passwd:

Code:

WEBTOOL\administrator:*:20500:20513::/home/WEBTOOL/administrator:/bin/sh                                                              
WEBTOOL\guest:*:20501:20513::/home/WEBTOOL/guest:/bin/sh                                                                                        
WEBTOOL\krbtgt:*:20502:20513::/home/WEBTOOL/krbtgt:/bin/sh                                                                                      
WEBTOOL\avery:*:21108:20513::/home/WEBTOOL/avery:/bin/sh                                                                                        
WEBTOOL\sharepointadmin:*:27109:20513::/home/WEBTOOL/sharepointadmin:/bin/sh                                                  
WEBTOOL\kelley:*:27606:20513::/home/WEBTOOL/kelley:/bin/sh

You can see at the bottom that the domain accounts show up. That is great because earlier iterations of FreeNAS had issues getting domain users through getent (I remember struggling for days to try and get it to work previously). Same goes for the groups, # getent group:

Code:

WEBTOOL\winrmremotewmiusers__:x:21000                                                                                                            
WEBTOOL\domain computers:x:20515                                                                                                                
WEBTOOL\domain controllers:x:20516                                                                                                              
WEBTOOL\schema admins:x:20518                                                                                                                    
WEBTOOL\enterprise admins:x:20519                                                                                                                
WEBTOOL\cert publishers:x:20517                                                                                                                  
WEBTOOL\domain admins:x:20512                                                                                                                    
WEBTOOL\domain users:x:20513                                                                                                                    
WEBTOOL\domain guests:x:20514                                                                                                                    
WEBTOOL\group policy creator owners:x:20520                                                                                                      
WEBTOOL\ras and ias servers:x:20553                                                                                                              
WEBTOOL\allowed rodc password replication group:x:20571                                                                                          
WEBTOOL\denied rodc password replication group:x:20572                                                                                          
WEBTOOL\read-only domain controllers:x:20521                                                                                                    
WEBTOOL\enterprise read-only domain controllers:x:20498                                                                                          
WEBTOOL\cloneable domain controllers:x:20522                                                                                                    
WEBTOOL\protected users:x:20525                                                                                                                  
WEBTOOL\dnsadmins:x:21102                                                                                                                        
WEBTOOL\dnsupdateproxy:x:21103                                                                                                                  
WEBTOOL\dhcp users:x:21104                                                                                                                      
WEBTOOL\dhcp administrators:x:21105                                                                                                              
WEBTOOL\sudoers:x:21109                                                                                                                          
WEBTOOL\vcsa administrators:x:21112                                                                                                              
WEBTOOL\libvirt:x:24603                                                                                                                          
WEBTOOL\jumpcloud:x:27607

All this so far is Samba compatibility - with some good back-end stuff set up by default like libgssapi krb5-sssd, etc. for domain support. Note as of writing FreeNAS is using Samba49, here's the default AD-connected # testparm:

Code:
root@freenas[~]# samba --version                                                                                                                 
Version 4.9.4   

root@freenas[~]# testparm                                                                                                                        
Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE                                                                                                                    
Registered MSG_REQ_DMALLOC_MARK and LOG_CHANGED                                                                                                  
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf                                                                                              
Processing section "[tank]"                                                                                                                      
Loaded services file OK.                                                                                                                        
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER                                                                                                                  

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions                                                                                            

# Global parameters                                                                                                                              
[global]                                                                                                                                        
        allow trusted domains = No                                                                                                              
        client ldap sasl wrapping = plain                                                                                                        
        deadtime = 15                                                                                                                            
        disable spoolss = Yes                                                                                                                    
        dns proxy = No                                                                                                                          
        domain master = No                                                                                                                      
        dos charset = CP437                                                                                                                      
        hostname lookups = Yes                                                                                                                  
        kernel change notify = No                                                                                                                
        lm announce = Yes                                                                                                                        
        load printers = No                                                                                                                      
        local master = No                                                                                                                        
        logging = file                                                                                                                          
        map to guest = Bad User                                                                                                                  
        max log size = 51200                                                                                                                    
        max open files = 116768                                                                                                                  
        nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g                                                                                      
        obey pam restrictions = Yes                                                                                                              
        preferred master = No                                                                                                                    
        printcap name = /dev/null                                                                                                                
        realm = WEBTOOL.SPACE                                                                                                                    
        security = ADS                                                                                                                          
        server min protocol = SMB2_02                                                                                                            
        server role = member server                                                                                                              
        server string = FreeNAS Server                                                                                                          
        template shell = /bin/sh                                                                                                                
        time server = Yes                                                                                                                        
        winbind cache time = 7200                                                                                                                
        winbind enum groups = Yes                                                                                                                
        winbind enum users = Yes                                                                                                                
        winbind offline logon = Yes                                                                                                              
        winbind refresh tickets = Yes                                                                                                            
        workgroup = WEBTOOL                                                                                                                      
        idmap config webtool: range = 20000-90000000                                                                                            
        idmap config webtool: backend = rid                                                                                                      
        idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000                                                                                              
        idmap config * : backend = tdb                                                                                                          
        acl allow execute always = Yes                                                                                                          
        create mask = 0666                                                                                                                      
        directory mask = 0777                                                                                                                    
        directory name cache size = 0                                                                                                            
        dos filemode = Yes                                                                                                                      
        strict locking = No                                                                                                                      

[tank]                                                                                                                                          
        guest ok = Yes                                                                                                                          
        path = "/mnt/tank/tank"                                                                                                                  
        read only = No                                                                                                                          
        veto files = /.snapshot/.windows/.mac/.zfs/                                                                                              
        vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr                                                                                            
        zfsacl:acesort = dontcare                                                                                                                
        nfs4:chown = true                                                                                                                        
        nfs4:acedup = merge                                                                                                                      
        nfs4:mode = special                                                                                                                                                     

I delved into these vfs objects a bit to flesh this out and try and understand what Samba is doing for a Windows compatibility layer with ZFS.

zfs_space is for listing free space in Windows client, zfsacl = posix acl compatibility for zfs: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_zfsacl.8.html streams_xattr = alternative streams, I believe this is a workaround for parallel data transfer while using POSIX ACLs: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_streams_xattr.8.html

So what about compatibility from Windows, though?

Well, I tried connecting to the SMB share of the pool using MMC shared folders snap-in, but that's a no-go, at least without some additional configuring.

Here I am accessing the shared folders snap-in, which looks like it's working fine...

29659-838f3de1452e14c9e28d87e12b209163.jpg

but check out what happens when I try and add a user to the share:

29658-fe824bcb2f7588e06bd4a701084ff4c2.jpg

I'm guessing it has something to do with Unix perms, so here's what they are:

Code:
   root@freenas[/mnt]# ls -la                                                                                                                      
total 6                                                                                                                                          
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  128 Apr 12 23:30 .                                                                                                  
drwxr-xr-x  21 root  wheel   28 Apr 12 23:33 ..                                                                                                  
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    5 Apr 12 23:03 md_size                                                                                            
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel    3 Apr 12 23:30 tank

Let's try and just open that up and see what happens: ohp, can't #chmod -R 777 the share.

I tried to delete the share and the corresponding dataset tank/tank but I got cannot unmount '/mnt/tank/tank': Device busy Unsupported share protocol: 1

Welp, it's late and I'm tired. I'll finish this post up later. But so far it looks like there's some issues I'm going to have to delve deep to tackle.

Attachments

• freenas-11.2U1-share-6.PNG
    freenas-11.2U1-share-6.PNG
    41.8 KB · Views: 454
  • freenas-11.2U1-share-3.PNG
    freenas-11.2U1-share-3.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 399

averyfreeman

Contributor
You have it wrong. After all, FreeNAS supports MS-Windows clients. It's a bit tricky. I've followed the OpenZFS mailing lists for a year or so, including the ZFS on Windows. They have had to re-think how to store MS-Windows permissions in a more standard way. This will allow a ZFS pool to be used by *nix & Samba with the same results.

As I said, early days. But interesting never the less.

Do you know if they're going to directly support NFSv4 ACLs instead of POSIX-ACL translation through Samba? I think that's the crux of the issue AFAIK (and a major reason why I switched from FreeNAS-->FreeBSD-->OmniOS)

Thanks for all the great info

Arwen

MVP
Do you know if they're going to directly support NFSv4 ACLs instead of POSIX-ACL translation through Samba? I think that's the crux of the issue AFAIK (and a major reason why I switched from FreeNAS-->FreeBSD-->OmniOS)

Thanks for all the great info
No, I don't know the details.

The intent with the ZFS on Windows was to make the permissions stored the same, wether you were using Samba or MS-Windows, (if I understood the information properly). That gives the pool portability. Since it really does not mater to MS-Windows how they are stored on non-MS disk file systems, they were looking to standardize on the current Samba method. (ZFS on Windows MUST use a compatibility layer anyway, so they can store ownership & permissions anyway they want to.)

Anyway, it's not something I followed long. Just interesting.