FN11 - Is it really ready for prime time or is this Corral all over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeloJunkie

Patron
I have been a FreeNAS user for a long time. I am running over a petabyte of space on a bunch of different FreeNAS systems and I love it.

However what I really need to know is if FN11 is really for prime time. I converted several of my systems over to Corral and had to rebuild them once it was decided that Corral was going to be no longer.

Is FreeNAS 11 ready for production deployment or should we stick with 9.10.2?

Thanks!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I have been a FreeNAS user for a long time. I am running over a petabyte of space on a bunch of different FreeNAS systems and I love it.

However what I really need to know is if FN11 is really for prime time. I converted several of my systems over to Corral and had to rebuild them once it was decided that Corral was going to be no longer.

Is FreeNAS 11 ready for production deployment or should we stick with 9.10.2?

Thanks!
I upgraded my secondary FreeNAS server from 9.10.2-U5 to 11.0 with no problems whatsoever. I'll upgrade my primary system in a week or two, barring the appearance of any show-stoppers on the secondary.

Corral was a huge departure from the 'tried-and-true' FreeNAS development path; nearly everything was changed. As @dlavigne pointed out, FreeNAS 11.0 is really just an incremental release along the reliable 9.x path; the biggest change was moving the underlying operating system from FreeBSD 10.3 to FreeBSD 11-STABLE.

HeloJunkie

Patron
Thank you all for your input. I think I will upgrade my backup system to 11 and try it out. I appreciate the input, I just didn't want to try a new system that was not going to around very long!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

HeloJunkie

Patron
Not sure @Ericloewe - maybe after the horrible experiences with Corral everyone wants to really really make sure....

Next time, maybe the powers-that-be could just put a sticky thread up answering this very question. Frankly, I am surprised that they did not address it ahead of time, they had to know the question was going to be asked.

As for me, I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything so I posted a new thread. I guess I should have looked harder/longer....

Status
Not open for further replies.