FN 9.10.1 - Tried updating Plex, seems I installed PMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

trey22

Dabbler
Have had Plex up and running for a couple years. On my iOS devices, the Plex app complains that the server has to be v1.3 or higher.

So I logged in to my Plex jail (standard jail), and by accident ran pkg install plexmediaserver (or something like that, can't exactly remember). Now when I run a pkg info, I see two Plex server components (screenshot). The PlexPass wasn't there before. I can still reach Plex through a browser.

1. Do I need to uninstall PMS PlexPass v1.3.3.3148? If so, how?
2. How do I update PMS v0.9.12.19.1537 correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Trey

Attachments

• plexupdate.PNG
    plexupdate.PNG
    27.4 KB · Views: 253

pschatz100

Guru
So I logged in to my Plex jail (standard jail), and by accident ran pkg install plexmediaserver (or something like that, can't exactly remember). Now when I run a pkg info, I see two Plex server components (screenshot). The PlexPass wasn't there before. I can still reach Plex through a browser.

1. Do I need to uninstall PMS PlexPass v1.3.3.3148? If so, how?
2. How do I update PMS v0.9.12.19.1537 correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Trey
You must have told the system to install "plexmediaserver-plexpass" which is not what you wanted. If you don't start the plexmediaserver-plexpass service, then it won't affect anything. As this is an old Warden jail, you could read up on Warden documentation to learn how to delete it.

Now keep in mind that, depending on the version of FreeBSD set up in your jail, you might not get the very latest version of Plex that is available. To determine what version of Plex is available for your jail, you can run the following command from the jail console: pkg search plexmediaserver. If it is new enough to support your iOS clients, then you should be OK.

To update Plex in a Warden jail, you should do the following:
1) Log in to the jail console: jexec JAILID tcsh where JAILID is the the number assigned to your jail
2) Stop Plex with the following command: service plexmediaserver stop
3) To actually update Plex, run the following command: pkg update && pkg upgrade plexmediaserver
4) Start Plex again with the following command: service plexmediaserver start

trey22

Dabbler
Awesome, upgrade went well according to your instructions. One TV show got removed from the On Deck section, no biggie. The Plex app on my iOS devices can now connect (PMS v1.3.3.3148, not the latest but gets me connected from my mobile devices).

Saving those instructions for future use.

Thx PS!

trey22

Dabbler
While I can now reach Plex on all devices (laptop, mobile), I can't playback any MKV videos (MP4's plays fine). I receive the following message:

"Conversion failed. A required code could not be found or failed to install."

Tried running "Analyze" on my entire library, same issue. Updated Freenas to 9.10.2-U6, same issue (not that I expected that to fix it).

pschatz100

Guru
Is this an issue an all devices, or just the iOS devices? I'm not an expert at iOS, but I seem to recall that Apple devices don't support MKV. If that were the case, the Plex server would try to transcode the MKV video to something the Apple device can play. It appears that you may have a transcoding problem - you'll have to go to the Plex forums for that.

Last edited:

trey22

Dabbler
All devices including laptop browser. Everything used to play/transcode correctly before the upgrade. I'll take a look over at the Plex forums.

trey22

Dabbler
Spent hours troubleshooting the transcoding issue, no go.

Upgraded FN from 9.10.1 to 11.1-U4. Deleted my original Plex jail. Set up a new jail for Plex (pkg method).

My last issue is that I cannot add via browse for share. All I see is PLEX, I used to have a MEDIA folder I could browse. "Noshare" screenshot.

If I manually type in the path to the shared folder (under ADD FOLDERS TO YOUR LIBRARY) where my media resides, then it will find it and scan it correctly. "Addmanual" screenshot.

Not a huge issue, but previously I could just browse to the folder I wanted to add.

At least now all my media plays and no more transcoding issues.

Attachments

• noshare.PNG
    noshare.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 252
  • addmanual.PNG
    addmanual.PNG
    34.3 KB · Views: 262

Redcoat

MVP
Your "last issue" has been the subject of many postings here - affected many people, particularly new users who didn't have the experience to find the media as you did.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Try pkg install -f plexmediaserver to reinstall plex. Take a snapshot of your jail first before you do in case it breaks.

And to keep your jail up to date just run pkg upgrade from within the plex jail.

pschatz100

Guru
The issue about browsing for media folders from within Plex is simply that Plex expects the root for media to be a particular folder. If you choose to put your media mounts elsewhere, then browsing won't help you. In that case, you just type them in.

No big deal, but it is a little disconcerting to a first time user who may not be aware of this. But then, that's why we have the forums :)

Status
Not open for further replies.