Flashing SAS9220-8i With New Firmware for 9.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCochran

Contributor
I want to upgrade to FreeNAS 9.2.1. The release notes say:

Updated the LSI 6 Gbps HBA driver (mps) to version 16. Please update the firmware of any mps HBAs to phase 16.

I'm currently running FreeNAS 9.2.0 with two (2) IBM M1015 (LSI SAS9220-8i) HBA adapters. I bought these off Ebay a long time ago and flashed them into IT mode with version 13.

My questions are:

Can I flash each of my HBA's in place, right in the FreeNAS system I am using, both connected to the motherboard, and without disconnecting either adapter from any of the existing drives?

Is it better to pull each adapter and re-flash it one at a time using a separate system? I have an old Dell box sitting around and that motherboard has a PCIe x16 connector on it. But the motherboard chipset may be Intel-based. It might be a 32-bit processor, too. Presuming this works, could I then restore the adapters to the FreeNAS system, one at a time?

If I put an HBA that has been flashed to "phase 16" into a FreeNAS system that has another adapter which is running "version" (or "phase") 13 firmware, will this cause me problems or will the system run stable?

What is the difference between "phase 16" and "version 16" as referenced by the Release notes?

Many thanks

Bob

cyberjock

Inactive Account
phase 16 and version 16 are the same thing. LSI like to use the word "phase" to signify a particular generation of compatible controllers and use that word for "version". We use the interchangeably(although technically we should use "phase").

If I were in your shoes I'd simply unplug one M1015 from the motherboard and flash the controller still attached to P16. Then switch the installed controller. It is not necessary to unplug your hard drives. Available options for installing the firmware is DOS or UEFI prompt. For exact directions give Google a check. There's very detailed guides out there for step by step reflashing controllers.

BobCochran

Contributor
Thank you. I don't do flashing of this sort very often, so I'll get some practice first. I have a spare, unused 9220-8i HBA which does not have a proper mounting bracket. I've ordered one. When this arrives I will install it, and flash the HBA. Then I'll pull one of the HBA's from the existing system and substitute the freshly updated HBA.Then I re-flash what I pulled.

Status
Not open for further replies.