First Timer - Comments and Feedback please....

m1k3y1985

Cadet
Hello All,

Just a quick introduction to say Hi and get some feedback and advise. I have been around NAS and external storage a little in my job role and have tinkered in that side a little but usually bought NAS specific devices and now its my turn to spice things up a little.

My FreeNAS is being built to store a lot of data at home, Videos, Applications, Data Backups, Images etc. I do not need to use it other than to sit there and receive or feed data a quickly as possible.

My plan is to use the following for a FreeNAS (This is what I have to hand but I do have access to other parts and can buy).

1x HP Microserver G7 N54L 2.2Ghz AMD x64 CPU (Modified to take 6 HDD's and 1 SSD, Don't ask).
16 GB Kingston PC3-10600E unbuffered ECC RAM.
1x LSI 9240-8i 8-port SAS / SATA Controller.

Question 1: OS USB or SSD? I have a 16GB USB Drive I can put the OS on and I also have a good brand 256GB SSD I can put this on - Which should I do and what sort of difference will it make.

Question 2: Hard Drives - I have 4x SAS 4TB HDD's and 2x 4TB SATA HDD's

SAS 4TB are: Seagate Constellation ES.3
SATA 4TB are: Hitachi HDS724040ALE640

I want to get as much space as possible but with data redundancy. Recommendations please? Traditionally I would do either RAID 10 or 0 or 1 with older NAS devices depending on purpose and amount of disks. Thoughts on RAID 6 in this situation?

Question 3: (Also based partly on 2). How much would I suffer trying to use the SAS and SATA devices on a combined RAID? Or should I Create 2 different volumes?

Questi

Yorick

Wizard
Question 1: OS USB or SSD? I have a 16GB USB Drive I can put the OS on and I also have a good brand 256GB SSD I can put this on - Which should I do and what sort of difference will it make.

I want to get as much space as possible but with data redundancy. Recommendations please? Traditionally I would do either RAID 10 or 0 or 1 with older NAS devices depending on purpose and amount of disks. Thoughts on RAID 6 in this situation?

For the boot device its longevity. USB 2 sticks can work, they won't last as long as an SSD, by their nature. Keep a configuration backup and if you are doing USB, consider a mirrored boot device.

Data redundancy: raidz2, with two parity drives. You'll have the IOPS of a single drive. Since all you're doing is backup that will be just fine, and using all your drives for a 6-drive raidz2 sounds the right way to go to me.

m1k3y1985

Cadet
Would USB over SSD make any difference in overall performance of the Storage? Or as this is just running the OS does it make very little difference?

Yorick

Wizard
It's just the OS and makes no performance difference to storage, jails, etc.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Hello,

I don't have experience with the N54L so I can't say anything about it.

1) for a home usage, I'd go for a USB drive. It would be a waste to use a 256GB SSD for that (and only 8GB will be used).
You could also have mirrored USB drives for more reliability but as long as you back-up your configuration, it's just a matter of setting it back up and restoring the configuration.

2) with 6 drives I'd go for a RAIDz2 volume.

3) for a home usage I don't think you will notice any difference in performance between using SATA and SAS drives

Yorick

Wizard
One more thing: You'll want that LSI in IT Mode. Check the forums, lots of instructions on how to make that happen

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
(Modified to take 6 HDD's and 1 SSD, Don't ask).

Well, now you know I'm going to.

You've got six 7200rpm drives in a tiny little chassis - have you accounted for some airflow/cooling?

Flashing IT firmware onto the LSI HBA is also mandatory here; do not use anything resembling a "RAID" or "RAID mode"

m1k3y1985

Cadet
OK. I shall find a quick guide on that somewhere or a Google later. Unless you happen to have a LINK?

Yorick

Wizard