first time usb flash boot failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuachen

Cadet
Hello folks,
I am trying freenas 8.0 release and I have done usb flash installation (both by dd if= of= bs=5k, and CD-ROM installation unto disk/usb device)

Now when I boot the usb device (4GB ordinary USB thumb drive, the host is a Dell 2970 server), it keep going

F1 freebsd
F2 freebsd
F5 disk0

F1 ##################,,,,
forever and can not boot freenas.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Joshua

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Something's likely wrong with the disk geometry or partitioning that was used during installation. You might get some better feedback if you can provide additional information. Are you able to maybe use the CD to get into the boot loader and then manually switch to the USB for booting? I don't remember the exact details but it'll have something to do with "set bootdev" and "set currdev" IIRC. You could then boot into singleuser to report on the disk geometry and what's reported by the kernel as it boots.

joshuachen

Cadet
fixed, thanks

Now I fixed my problem by,
re-download the .xz full installation image, perform the un-zip and dd again, and it booted well.

What I don't understand is that, I also tried to download iso image, burned a cd, and boot successfully from that CD. and in the cd session, choosed to install on disk (external USB disk) and thumbdrive. Both of the drive installation failed. went like
###### forever.

anyway, now it all work well.

Thanks for your reply Jgreco

Cheers
Joshua
Something's likely wrong with the disk geometry or partitioning that was used during installation. You might get some better feedback if you can provide additional information. Are you able to maybe use the CD to get into the boot loader and then manually switch to the USB for booting? I don't remember the exact details but it'll have something to do with "set bootdev" and "set currdev" IIRC. You could then boot into singleuser to report on the disk geometry and what's reported by the kernel as it boots.

ProtoSD

MVP
A few of us have had problems similar to this. There's a ticket open, and some discussion in another thread if you search.

Status
Not open for further replies.