BUILD First Time FreeNAS Build - Sanity Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon09

Cadet
Hello everyone,

First off would just like to say thanks for all the great forum posts!

After using a Drobo B800i and Drobo Elite for storage for the past 4-5 years in our office I have decided to move to something a bit more long term that I'm hoping I'll be able to expand in the future. While initially the main reason I was using the Drobo was because of its ability to use different size capacities and ease of setup, they have become somewhat problematic recently (random restarts, disconnects, etc) and I have begun to fill them with mostly newer 3TB drives, so I figure it's time to move to a better system. I have built many computers and servers in the past, so I'm fairly familiar with Hardware/Software.

I'm looking on some input on my hardware selection and have a few things that I wanted to get some confirmation on.

Here's the basic build:
Mobo - Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F
CPU - E5-1620 v3
Memory - Eventually 4x (starting with 2x) Samsung 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM
Case - Supermicro CSE-836TQ-R800B
Storage Drives - Eventually 16x (starting with 8x) HGST Deskstar Nas 3TB
OS Drive(s) - Either 2x Cruzer Fit or 1x SuperDOM 16gb

The board I selected has onboard SATA as well as 2 SAS ports which utilize the LSI 3008 Controller; will it be better to utilize the onboard SATA or the SAS connection for the drives initially? Eventually, I plan to use both which is why I'm making this build a bit overkill and populating my nas with 16 drives, but I'll be starting with 8x3TB drives with RaidZ2.

As far as boot devices go I've just discovered the SuperDOM accessories Supermicro allows you to utilize with their boards; given the choice would I be better off going with 1 SuperDOM or 2 USBs (mirrored)? (in other words, are there any real benefit to having a faster boot device such as the SuperDOM worthwhile, or good ol' USB work fine?)

How beneficial would an L2ARC SSD be (in my case I'll be using it for a file server accessed by around 300 users) and what do you guys typically recommend? As far as I've read the general consensus seems to be go with Intel if you do, but would I be better off just bumping up to 64GB of RAM from the start and forgo the SSD altogether?

Thanks for any input!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
LSI SAS3 is not proven to be stable, yet. Intel SATA is.

As far as boot devices go I've just discovered the SuperDOM accessories Supermicro allows you to utilize with their boards; given the choice would I be better off going with 1 SuperDOM or 2 USBs (mirrored)? (in other words, are there any real benefit to having a faster boot device such as the SuperDOM worthwhile, or good ol' USB work fine?)
USB flash drives work, but random IO performance is excruciatingly slow (noticeable when doing updates or manipulating boot environments) and reliability is hit-and-miss. SSDs are faster and more reliable. DOMs are somehwere in the middle, offering additional convenience (and higher profit margins for Supermicro).

How beneficial would an L2ARC SSD be (in my case I'll be using it for a file server accessed by around 300 users) and what do you guys typically recommend? As far as I've read the general consensus seems to be go with Intel if you do, but would I be better off just bumping up to 64GB of RAM from the start and forgo the SSD altogether?
64GB first, L2ARC later. More RAM is better, 64GB is the minimum for L2ARC to be useful, generally. Read-oriented enterprise SSDs are fine for L2ARC.

Status
Not open for further replies.