First time build

popayo

Cadet
Hello,

I am putting together my first homelab and wanted a sanity check from you guys.

Usage:
  • 1-2 Users
  • Couple of VMs
  • Plex with hardware transcoding
Build:
  • CPU : Xeon E-2142G or E-2242G
  • CPU cooler : Noctua NH-L12S
  • MB : X11SCL-F (or ASUS WS-C246M-PRO since it has 8 SATA port)
  • RAM : Samsung M391A2K43BB1 DDR4-2400 16G x2
  • Case : Fractal Design Node 804
  • PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500 W
  • Boot +VMs : Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 x2 mirrored
Data:

I am planning to run a RAIDz2 with 6 disks not mirrored, I will not have critical data on the NAS so I don't see the benefit of mirroring (except for increased read performances) I am tempted to buy 6x14TB easystore and shuck them. I read a lot of pros and cons about this practice, is it really a no-go?

Several questions :
  1. The X11SCL-F supports Xeon E-22xx after a BIOS update (1.0b), do you recommend a cheap compatible CPU to do the update?
  2. ASUS WS-C246M-PRO seems a better option for MOBO (8 SATA) but lacks IPMI how critical is this?
  3. Do you have a recommendation for a PCIe card that can hold 2 NVMe? Is mirroring the boot that important?
  4. I am not convinced by the case selection, I am looking for something with a relatively low profile but not in the server rack format
  5. Is an HBA card an absolute must have?
  6. Since TrueNAS scale has been in beta I was planing to use that. I am more familiar with linux and HW transcoding will be supported out of the box. Is it a no-go for any production systems?
Thanks a lot for taking the time reading this

Best!

Inxsible

Guru
The X11SCL-F supports Xeon E-22xx after a BIOS update (1.0b), do you recommend a cheap compatible CPU to do the update?
Unless the BIOS upgrade is giving you a lot of features apart from allowing the use of a higher version of the CPU, I don't think it's worthwhile. It's really difficult to notice the difference in speeds between CPU versions. Now if the BIOS upgrade is unlocking PCI-3 (some X9 based boards do) or allowing more RAM to be installed, then it definitely makes sense to do it.
ASUS WS-C246M-PRO seems a better option for MOBO (8 SATA) but lacks IPMI how critical is this?
That depends on where you are placing your server. Is it going to be headless? If you are putting a headless server down in the basement, it gets annoying real quick if you have to take your monitor etc down to see what the heck went wrong. IPMI allows you to sit on your desktop and get a look into what's going on. I find it really useful. It is essential if your setup involves having the server in a place that is physically away from where you are -- say at a relative/friend's place etc.
Do you have a recommendation for a PCIe card that can hold 2 NVMe? Is mirroring the boot that important?
I wouldn't waste NVMe drives on the boot OS. A couple of 2.5" SATA drives would work just as well assuming that your selected case can fit them.
I am not convinced by the case selection, I am looking for something with a relatively low profile but not in the server rack format
Fractal Design has quite a few options. Thermaltake or Cooler Master as well. I understand the need for the case to be small, but that always comes with headaches when it comes to cable management which then leads to worse airflow which then leads to higher operating temperatures. I had a Node 304 (mini ITX) and it was a hassle. Node 804 is mATX but cable management will still be difficult as compared to a tower or a Rack mount option.
Is an HBA card an absolute must have?
Absolute must ? No. But it does reduce the cable nest because you no longer need 8 SATA cables, as a single cable from the HBA can handle all the disks. Obviously you need to select the appropriate HBA and the cable.
Since TrueNAS scale has been in beta I was planing to use that. I am more familiar with linux and HW transcoding will be supported out of the box. Is it a no-go for any production systems?
I have no idea on the status of Scale as I have not looked into Scale at all. But my 2 cents, I wouldn't use Beta software in Production -- even though it's only for home use. Just too much of a hassle to fix things and retrieve data to get up and running again (even if you have backups)

Etorix

Wizard
0. Shucking drives should be fine, as long as you don't end up with SMR drives.
1. E-2200 are already old. Any board you can find now should have a suitable BIOS. Else, any i3-8xxx or 9xxx would do… and you can use it for the NAS if 4 cores is enough: These i3 do ECC.
2. See above.
3. No, a single boot drive is fine. Keep a configuration file outside of the NAS and reinstall on a new drive if the drive fails. Small NVMe drives are perfectly suitable for booting while preserving the all important SATA ports. If you do want to mirror the boot drive, go for the X11SCH-F, which has 2 M.2—and 8 SATA.
4. The Node 804 is very well thought, but be warned that, with its mesh top, it nicely cools the drives but lets the sound out.
5. No. SAS breakout cables are a nice match with the Node 804 because they are compact and each cable provides the four SATA for one drive cage, but some ties on regular (but not too thick) SATA cables will provide similar results.