FIRST NAS DIY - SETUP (LAST CONFIRMATION)

ambmarques

Cadet
Hello all,

I've been a addicted to homelabing and NAS (QNAP and Synology) for all my life, but for the first wanted to create a system more robust (were using 2 x Intel NUCs (for VMs) and still using a Synology DS918+ (for NAS)) and 2 in 1 (VM's, Docker, Plex with Transcoding).

I've these items that after a few days of reading and searching I've get together.

Fractal Node 804
Kolink Enclave 600W 80+ Gold Modular
Motherboard ASRock B760M Pro RS/D4
Intel Core i5 12400 6-Core (2.5GHz-4.4GHz) 18MB Skt1700
Team Group Kit 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3600MHz Vulcan Z Grey CL18
SSD Western Digital Black SN850X 1TB Gen4 M.2 NVMe (7300/6300MB/s) ( For appdata only)
SSD MSI SPATIUM M460 1TB Gen4 M.2 NVMe (5000/4500MB/s) (For cache)

What's your opinion on this? I don't want/need the ultimate LAB enviroment, but need a bit of horse power on it (VMs, mainly lot's of CML and EVE-NG)).

Thanks for the opinions in first hand.

Cheers,
André

Arwen

MVP
You don't list a boot device;

Next, you don't list data devices, except a WD Black 1TB NVMe for appdata. Using another NVMe 1TB for a cache drive of the appdata pool does not make sense. So, am I missing something?

Next, you don't list your "appdata" as a Mirror, just as a single. Was it going to be Mirrored? If not, data loss can occur on block failure(s) when using a single device pool. (Or a striped pool).

As for the other items, 64GB of RAM seems fine. But, I don't have any knowledge of the other items.

Last, it is highly recommended to read up on TrueNAS and ZFS, as ZFS has it's quirks and limitations. Some new users find the quirks and or limitations too much, and want something that gives them more.

Koop

Explorer
It looks like you've opted for consumer hardware. For example you don't have ECC memory in this build. While this doesn't mean you can't run TrueNAS it's generally discouraged- however it's just a matter of understanding the pros and cons. I would suggest searching the forums regarding that.

Otherwise as @Arwen said you seem to be missing a bit of info such as what your main disks for data will be comprised of?

Last edited: