BUILD First freeNAS build - want feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankul

Cadet
Hi guys, newbie here!
Moving into a new appartment soon and want to build a small freeNAS box to store media files on and do backup from other devices to. Looking for some feedback on the hardware I'm thinking about buying.

Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V3
RAM: 2x Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 8GB ECC ( KVR16E11/8 )
PSU: Corsair CS 550M, 550W
HDD: 6 WD Red 3 TB
I will be running this in one large raidz2.

If something seems wrong here, please tell me why!

enemy85

Guru
Xeon is a bit overkilled with few user and the and even the psu

enemy85

Guru
The xeon and the psu are a bit overkilled for few user and just 6hd.
I have the same config with 5hd, an intel i3-4130 and 8gb of ram an a seasonic g-360 with 50w power consumptio in idle.
Just need to add a power splitter because the g360 has only 4 power sata cables

Zankul

Cadet
Thanks.
For a PSU I want something modular (to remove clutter in the small case) and gold rated as its going to run 24/7. I could go for Corsairs 450W version, but there are almost no price difference between them.
For CPU i will look into some low ends i3s or something like that. Looks like they are about half the price of my xeon.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A few comments:

I'd avoid Kingston, since they've been practicing underhanded business lately.
I'd definitely go with a Seasonic G-Series over a Corsair CS, budget allowing. The G-450 and up are also modular and have much better internals than the Corsair CX/CS.
For basic file sharing, an i3 43XX is plenty, with headroom to spare for some more advanced stuff.

Zankul

Cadet
Ok, I'll go with the Seasonic G360.
While i have been reading about the issues with Kingston lately I also can't find any other brands on my MBs memory list that i easely can get hold of in Norway (We have crap selection on hardware)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you want a modular PSU, note that the G-360 is fully hard wired. The others are semi-modular, though.

Zankul

Cadet
I know, but as we have rather limited selection of hardware it's either 360W or 600W+. I could go for a Be Quiet 430W but i have no experience with their PSUs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I know, but as we have rather limited selection of hardware it's either 360W or 600W+. I could go for a Be Quiet 430W but i have no experience with their PSUs.
Rather crummy. If you can tolerate the fixed cables, the G-360 is a much better option.

enemy85

Guru
just remember to buy 2 SATA power Y-splitter or 2 adapter 4pin MOLEX to SATA

Zankul

Cadet
After some more reading I have another question.
Will 16 GB RAM be enough with 18 TB raw HDD space? Or should I look into a MB that supports more than 16 GB?

enemy85

Guru
They are ok. I'm with 5x3TB raidz2 and just 8gb of ram

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
After some more reading I have another question.
Will 16 GB RAM be enough with 18 TB raw HDD space? Or should I look into a MB that supports more than 16 GB?

It should be enough, but you will probably find 16GB of RAM too restrictive in the future, after expanding.

enemy85

Guru
It should be enough, but you will probably find 16GB of RAM too restrictive in the future, after expanding.

Obviously for future expansion with more hdd of much higher TB capacity 16gb of ram COULD be not the ideal solution, but i guess that with a mini-itx board, and a small 6hdd case, the solution planned would be more than ok for a home user

Zankul

Cadet
Thanks. I don't forsee an expantion in the near future so I will go with the 16GB. When the time comes for expantions there will be new sockets and everything anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.