First FreeNAS Build from 286 to E3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Hi all,

As mentioned above, in my Define R4 Case I currently have 6 x 3tb WD Red Drives. There is one zpool with RaidZ2 for this 18TB. giving me a storage of 9tb .... but the system wants me to keep 2.1tb free. I am happy with this zpool and don't need to expand it.
Though I can now only physically fit 4 more drives in this case, using the 2 spare drive bays, and convert the two 5.25 bays in the case to each old a 3.25 drive with adaptors http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3E6P8SQY9T8G4

It would have been great If I could have somehow got 6 more drives in here. Any ideas?

The current plan is to add these new 4 x 6tb drives and create a second zpool with RaidZ2.

Am I correct in understanding that the two zpools will not interact and affect eachother?

Cheers

b

I read Cyberjocks PPT guide ... many times. Really good :) Cheers sir.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Though I can now only physically fit 4 more drives in this case, using the 2 spare drive bays, and convert the two 5.25 bays in the case to each old a 3.25 drive with adaptors http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3E6P8SQY9T8G4
Two 5.25" bays should give you room for 3 3.5" drives, or at least 4 2.5" drives:
I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032UUGF4/?tag=ozlp-20
I also looked various Icy Dock options, but I don't need hot-swap: http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=153

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Unfortunately RT, it seems the current 5.25 bays are riveted in on my Define R4 case, the only problem for an otherwise excellent case. And tbh I don't want to start cutting the case about.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Are you saying the 5.25" bays are physically separated? If so, that's too bad. The adapter I have mounts in place of the drives, it doesn't completely replace the bays, but it definitely wouldn't work if there were a structure between the bays.

billgreenwood

Dabbler
Thought I'd write a little update

18 months I've had this now and this really is a "put it in the corner and forget about it" kinda box.

My spec since my starting out has had an upgrade of additional drives. I've taken out a couple of fans. Added a UPS. Added a card controller, a different fan, another 4 6tb drives. All good.

FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09)
This is rock solid. I had one small issue with an an AFP share, which stopped wanting to share, but I remade it. No other real FreeNas issues. BTSync seems to be running superbly since 2.2.5. Plex is just great. So are many of the other plugins. I wish there were more!

CASE
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Mid Tower

MOTHERBOARD
Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O

CPU
Intel BX80637E31240V2 Xeon Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz LGA1155 Socket 8 MB L3 Cache 69 Watt (rookie mistake, originally spec'd an 1150 - thanks CJ for pointing this out)

CPU COOLER
Supermicro SNK-P0046A4

RAM
32GB DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz 240-pin UDIMM ECC Unbuffered -- original ream didn't work, so bought this off Mr Memory,

DRIVES
6 x WD Red 3TB for NAS 3.5-inch (1st Pool)
4 x WD Red 6TB for NAS 3.5-inch (2nd Pool) --- I added these drives after a year to the four remaining slots. I did not bother hacking away at the empty 5.25 bays.

SATA CONTROLLER
IBM 90Y4556 Express ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Storage Controller ---- as suggested flashed to P16 IT firmware. Which was a bit of pain as I did not have a Windows PC to create a DOS bootable flash drive. Neighbour to the rescue!

FAN TO COOL SATA CONTROLLER
StarTech.com Expansion Slot Rear Exhaust Cooling Fan with LP4 Connector

PSU
Corsair CP-9020055-UK RM Series RM750 80 Plus Gold 750W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit

FLASH DRIVE x 3 (one spare - one for upgrades)
Kingston Technology 8 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive.

UPS
APC SMT1500I Smart-UPS,1000 Watts ---- I run the Freenas Box, configured to shut down after 10 mins. And also my a Mac and a router (though only through power to enable me to save what I'm working on.

This UPS has saved my Bacon ... literally! Once after a power cut I was able to use the UPS to power on / spark my Gas Oven and cook dinner!

I also bought the AP9620, Communications Smartslot Card. I was told (by APC) that this would enable me to plug in two devices and each simultaneously receive a shutdown command / broadcast. This is not the case. Once the Smartslot Card is installed it effectively replaces the onboard ports, so the UPS will only broadcast to one connected device.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.