First build - Everything look OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dantest69

Cadet
Hi all,

First time poster but I've spent a long time reading the countless helpful posts in these forums so I hope this post will only require a confirmation from the pros rather than advice.

I'm looking to build a home FreeNAS server for backups from multiple computers and streaming of media to a few devices. I regularly backup critical data so I'm leaning towards a RAIDz1 as I'm willing to take the risk of only one drive failing.

I'm going for as affordable as possible without skimping on quality, so I've chosen the following:

Motherboard - Supermicro MBD-X9SCL-F-O - Link

CPU - Intel Pentium G2020 Ivy Bridge 2.9GHz - Link - Since I won't be using AES-NI this is the cheapest CPU that supports ECC that I could find. Fast enough for CIFS by all reports.

Memory - Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G - Link

PSU - SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (is 620W overkill for a system like this?) - Link

Storage - 5 x WD Reds in RAIDz1

Case - Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX Silent PC Computer Case w/ 2 x 120mm fans - Link

UPS - Not 100% sure on the UPS but I'm considering an APC RS800 800VA (discontinued but still available in my country) - Link

If anyone could let me know if this looks like a good shopping list I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to all for the helpful posts throughout the forums. Very informative for a n00b like me!

PrincePaul

Patron
Sounds good, BUT the PSU is an overkill :D

I would recommend a ~400W PSU with 80 Plus Gold like that:
For the SeaSonic you need an Molex to Sata Adapter because it has only 4x Sata but you save a lot energy with that instead of an 600W PSU.
With ~400W you have enough reserves for your system and future upgrades.

dantest69

Cadet
Thanks PrincePaul for the tip re: PSU. I'll downgrade it to a lower wattage (it seems like this motherboard supports staggered spinups for the drives so that should help reduce the required wattage greatly.)

One minor concern, I sent Supermicro an e-mail asking if the G2020 CPU was compatible with the X9SCL-F and their reply is below. Can anyone verify if this is in fact true? I recall reading that the BIOS had to be upgraded to support Ivy Bridge Xeons (requiring a Sandy Bridge CPU to do so, stupidly enough) but can't seem to find anything on whether the G2020 will work or not.

" No does not support G2020 processor. Here is the list of processor family support on X9SCL-F.

Processor/Cache

CPU
· Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 & v2 series, Intel® 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen Core i3, Intel® Pentium® and Celeron processors *** *
· Socket H2 (LGA 1155)

PrincePaul

Patron
Staggered Spinup ..n1
But without it 400W are enough too ;)

Mhh, I read the CPU support list too.
So for me it means it supports your CPU.

I don´t know how it is in your country, but in Germany you can buy something an within 14days you can give it back without a reason.
So when you buy your system and you have problems with the bios version, get a Sandy Bridge Xeon, update the Bios and give it back.....thats the complicated way.

Normally when you insert a wrong CPU (on desktop mainbords) the Bios recognizes the CPU as unknown but you can use the Bios and do your Bios-Upgrade.

And I found that here
he use a
X9SCM

and on the Supermicro page under CPU:
  • Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 & v2 series, Intel® 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen Core i3, Intel® Pentium® and Celeron processors *** *
  • Socket H2 (LGA 1155)

So its the same like the page for your mainboard and the guy use a G2020, so I would try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.