Firewall Rules Scale

NicJak

Cadet
I would like to allow for remote backups for my family. For this I use wireguard and allow only a previous given IP for every client. For security reasons I would like to only allow all IPs to access TrueNAS on its SMB ports. Except for myself. I would like to allow myself to also access the webGUI.

So I thought of implementing this using firewall rules for the entire wireguard-space that deny all but the SMB ports. And off course the exception of my own access rights.

1. Question
Does this sound like a reasonable approach for remote backups for my family? Or are there flaws/security issues? What would be an alternative, if this is bad?
2. Question
If the approach is reasonable: how does one proceed to implement such firewall rules in TrueNAS Scale? In TrueNAS Core I had a jail with ipfw rules to act accordingly.

Thank you and yours sincerely
NicJak

NicJak

Cadet
In case somebody might try to do something similar:

I added a Post-Init Script that I placed in the /root folder. Upon boot the following rules are applied:

iptables -A INPUT -i vpn_server -d <ip-of-TrueNAS> -p tcp --dport 445 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i vpn_server -s <ip-of-my-own-user> -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i vpn_server -j DROP

Ixian

Patron
Is there a reason you need to do this on the SCALE server and not an edge device like your firewall?

I added a Post-Init Script that I placed in the /root folder.
Whatever you place inside /root, you want to make sure you have backup copies.

This folder lives directly on the boot ("OS") device, and will not be backed up with any replications or backup tasks.

NicJak

Cadet
Is there a reason you need to do this on the SCALE server and not an edge device like your firewall?
I wouldn't know how to implement it there? The only device that supports wireguard and is permanent on in my network is TrueNAS. I assume a firewall outside this device would be futile, as the packets are encrypted when they pass the gateway and thus indistinguishable. And they will probably not pass the gateway a second time as TrueNAS will route it internally. Or do I get something wrong here?

Whatever you place inside /root, you want to make sure you have backup copies.

This folder lives directly on the boot ("OS") device, and will not be backed up with any replications or backup tasks.
Thank you for the hint! This is indeed a very good remark. :) Luckily I version my scripts there with git and push them to my private repository.