Finding what USB port my 3D printer is connected to for Fluidd

protonus

Cadet
I am trying to connect my 3D printer to Fluidd app I downloaded from Truecharts, but I don't know which USB port my 3D printer is connected to, is there a way to find out?

I have tried commands like lspci but it just gives me an ID of all devices on my motherboard. I have used /dev/bus/usb (in the Host Device Path) in the settings for the container to see if works but no luck in connecting Fluidd to my printer running Klipper.

I can get my Pi to see it and it works fine, but not the App installed from Truecharts. I am trying to get rid of my Pi as my 3D printer is next to the server.

I have 2 VMs running fine with USB passthrough using the ID's of the USB devices, but the container wants the host path device, but I have no idea how to find it. I have upgraded to Bluefin and even changed the settings to Privileged Mode and no luck either.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have 2 VMs running fine with USB passthrough using the ID's of the USB devices,
What VM software are you using?

If the passthru is working as you hope, unplugging and waiting a few seconds, then plugging back in and watch to see what port is recognized in the log.

protonus

Cadet
Apologies what I meant is that the USB passthrough works for my VMs (one is Windows 10 and the other is Home Assistant) it's easy to setup in the VM section of Truenas Scale. I have not checked to see if the 3D printer is passed through to them.

What I want to know is when I set up the container there is a section where you can pass through the USB device, it asks for Host Device Path under Resources and Devices and I have used /dev/bus/usb and it doesn't work, so I want to know how do I go about finding what USB devices are mounted and where (e.g. /dev/usb or something like that)? I tried the command lsusb but it doesn't work, I have also tried usb-devices and that doesn't work either (command not recognised). So would like to know when I go into shell in Truenas, how do I find out where the USB devices are mounted? lspci lists the devices with device ID's not mount paths.

EDIT: I have actually found that the printer is connected as ttyUSB0 but it doesn't work, Fluidd does not see my printer.

Last edited:

protonus

Cadet
I removed the app/container and decided to install a slimmed-down version of Debian (no GUI) and then installed Fliudd, Klipper and Moonraker via an app called Kiuah

I then passed through the USB 3.1 ports via the PCI passthrough and it worked, I passed through all the USB 3.1 ports (only 2) as I was unsure which one it was plugged into. Plus I can connect my other 3D printer to the other USB port.

vlietstra

Cadet
How did you manage to figure out it was connected as ttyUSB0. I'm currently trying to pass through a usb device to my vm and I've hit a similar wall.

protonus

Cadet
I logged into the shell and did a ls /dev and saw ttyUSB0 there connected. However, I did not pass through the USB as that did not work for some unknown reason.

I did a lspci and passed through my UBS port using the PCI ID of the USB devices, for example, I know I have the USB 3.1 ports on my motherboard (just 2 of them) and saw them in the list of PCI devices by running the command lspci (see output below) and then I passed them through as a PCI device, (you get a list of them in a drop-down) and I selected 07:00.0 and 08:00.0 as their ID's and that worked. I had to pass through 2 PCI devices, one for each port. I hope this helps.

07:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
08:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller

vlietstra

Cadet
I logged into the shell and did a ls /dev and saw ttyUSB0 there connected. However, I did not pass through the USB as that did not work for some unknown reason.

I did a lspci and passed through my UBS port using the PCI ID of the USB devices, for example, I know I have the USB 3.1 ports on my motherboard (just 2 of them) and saw them in the list of PCI devices by running the command lspci (see output below) and then I passed them through as a PCI device, (you get a list of them in a drop-down) and I selected 07:00.0 and 08:00.0 as their ID's and that worked. I had to pass through 2 PCI devices, one for each port. I hope this helps.

07:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
08:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing as well.