Finding disk status in 9.3 GUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamakazi

Cadet
Just built my first FreeNAS, Asrock C2750D4i, 16G RAM. Planned on using a bunch of 750G Barracudas to build a 6 disk RAIDZ2. Playing with the system, using CLI SMART tools, saw a message about firmware and such, so I booted from the Seagate testing tool, 5 of the first 6 disks fail the Seagate long test. Darn, but not a problem, nothing on this array anyway. Just throw another bazillion dollars at it, have 6 3Tb Greens on the way. (Yes, I plan on wdidleing them)

However, here is my question. Now that I know I have baddish disks, and now that the system has been up long enough to run a scheduled FREENAS smart test, I get console notifications of SMART failures, I presume email notifications (haven't set that up yet), but I cannot find any disk status information in the GUI. Also seeing actual unreadable sectors errors in the console, some some of these disks have apparently progressed from SMART errors to genuine uncaught hard errors.

I kind of assumed there would be some kind of indication in the GUI that a disk had SMART errors. Under the Storage tab (where I assumed it would be) in the "Volumes" subtab it says the volume is healthy. In the status screen (clicking the little "Volume Status" icon on the bottom) it says all the disks are online. In the "Volumes"-"View Disks" subtab it shows only settings, not status. I was expecting in one of those places to see some status info, or when I selected an individual disk there would be a status option like there is for volumes.

So excuse a n00b question, is there a method in the GUI tho view physical disk status that includes SMART status?

Obviously when FreeNAS decides a disk is actually bad and fails it it will no longer show up as online in the volume status screen, but at least with these disks FreeNAS is incredibly bulldogish in keeping disks online through some horrendously long timeouts. In fact copying test stuff to the array I am getting minute+ stalls then unreadable timeouts in the client OS, but FreeNAS has yet to fail a disk. Being accustomed to software RAID6 on Linux, or real RAID in Equallogic SAN arrays I was very surprised at the tenaciousness of FreeNAS. Not sure yet whether I like that or if I should look for a setting to more aggressively fail disks.

Anyway, I have 3 more days to play with bad disks in this NAS before my new disks arrive, so I will get to practice replacing disks and set up the email notifications and see how spammy FreeNAS gets when hardware is actually failing.

Thanks for patience with a n00b.

kamakazi

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
, I presume email notifications (haven't set that up yet),

Yeah, well, that's the way FreeNAS has to tell you "Hey, lazy sysadmin! Something's wrong, fix it please!". There is no GUI for viewing SMART. You can view SMART data using
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/adawhatever

I'm not sure if FreeNAS has any reachable options for timeouts, it's not an issue that frequently pops out (most people who'd notice are using TLER-enabled drives anyway). I do know FreeNAS tends to keep drives with errors below a certain threshold (bit rot happens, that's what ZFS is for - log the error, correct it and move on).

Be sure to follow the manual's instructions for disk replacement to the letter - it can be an unintuitive process.

Status
Not open for further replies.