Finally moving to TrueNAS Core 13 - with Plex, SabNZB, Sonarr, Home Assistant, pi-hole, Minecraft ...

john.doe79

Dabbler
After I spent last 2 1/2 years with running everything under Windows 10, I would like to move the box in the basement and make it headless.

Intel Core i3-8300, 32 GB ECC Ram, Gigabyte C246M-WU Board (2 NICs)

as disks I have ...
  • 1x 128 GB SSD
    • TrueNAS Core OS
  • 2x WD Red 3 TB
    • "Mirror" for "important Data" (some folders sync with OneDrive?)
    • Time Machine Backup (MacBook Air M1)
    • Backups from virtual Machines, Jails?
  • 1x WD (whatever) 8 TB
    • Plex TV-Shows
  • 1x WD (whatever) 12 TB
    • Plex Movies
  • 1x Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD m2 PCIe 3.0x4/512 GB SSD
    • sabNZB download Temp
    • Plex transcoding Temp
  • 1x 256 GBm2 PCIe 3.0x4 SSD
    • for virtual Machines, Plugins (Plex, sabNZB, Sonarr, pi-hole, HomeAssistant, Minecraft server)
Is that a feasible setup?

The WD Red 3 TB mirror as well as the 2 drives for Plex Media should be available via SMB and AFP for my Windows & Mac, security should be applied to the shares for different users, with different security.

From the plugins page I can see that most of it is available as plugins, but not pi-hole?

A few questions ...
  • Will Plex Server do hardware transcoding (it did in Windows, Plex pass is available)?
  • Can I use the TrueNAS host as an hypervisor, to virtualize a Ubuntu or Debian
  • Can I connect my APC UPS (USB) to the host and could TrueNAS read the data and shutdown in case of power loss before battery dies?
  • Is there a plugin available wich allows folder sync with Microsoft 365 OneDrive Service?
  • Could I browse the files from the web gui on the drives and copy from one to the other/rename etc ...?

Thank for your feedback

Last edited:

awasb

Patron
I‘d stay away from TNC13 and stick with 12-U8.1.

Don‘t believe the Announcement-Hype. You‘ll regret it.

john.doe79

Dabbler
I‘d stay away from TNC13 and stick with 12-U8.1. Don‘t believe the Announcement-Hype. You‘ll regret it.

I'm curious why I would regret it?

But independent from 12-U8.1 or 13 ... would that above work out?

awasb

Patron
TNC13 is x.0-Release. Despite the talk about improvements etc. it's far from being tested throughout/polished/optimized. VMs and noVNC are currently a problem. Replacing disks works just from CLI etc. etc. etc.

Concerning your proposal: It will work. But with (almost) no redundancy (apart from the mirror). You'll still profit from ZFS's advanced consistency checks.

(If I were you, I'd "invest" in a bigger/broader hdd pool for streaming files/backups and setup a ssd mirror for VMs and scratch-/tmp-dirs. Maybe you'll want a tiny SLOG — preferably Optane/NVMe, when you are doing Mac-backups. BTW.: I'd completely ditch AFP. As far as I can see there is no advantage compared to SMB/CIFS with your setup.)

john.doe79

Dabbler
About AFP you are probably right, it was a relict from the past and I thought it was required for Time Machine.

I have all the hardware and not a budget to buy new drives or so, so I'll stick with what I have, knowing I won't have redundancy for everything.