Final Build Check, Would Love Feedback

Esme101

Dabbler
I am finally ready to buy my FreeNas server and want to make sure there are no problems.
I am going to get 10 8tb HGST Ultrastar SAS drives, a 250gb HGST Ultrastar SSD (OS), a 24 bay prebuilt used supermicro server (32gb ECC REG 8x4gb , 2x E5-2620, IT mode raid controller w/ backplane), and 32gb more memory (32gb ECC REG 8x4gb). Links to all the parts are below.
Using as a video storage server w/ Plex in RaidZ2. If you see any problems with this setup please say so, Thanks for your help!

SSD HDs Server ExtraRam

G8One2

Patron

Esme101

Dabbler
That makes sense. The system aleady comes with 8 4gb sticks. If I get 4 16gb sticks can I just put one in each ram grouping or do I need to the same size dimms all around. If I can just add the sticks in I suppose I would just put one in each group of dimms right?

G8One2

Patron
I would cram as much high density RAM you can afford. The more the better FreeNas will perform. I have 192Gb RAM and it was a considerable difference in performance from the initial 32Gb i had prior. The SuperMicro board has colored ram slots. If your not filling all the slots, you need to fill slots for specfic banks first, before expanding to the others. The user manual for the board specifies this. It has to do with the dual CPU's.

G8One2

Patron
The server will also be loud, most of that noise comes from the power supply fans. You should look into replacing them with quieter ones. unless of course your putting the server somewhere the noise wont be a nuisance.

Esme101

Dabbler
With that in mind I think I will go with your recommendation for RAM. Noise should not be a problem, it will be in a basement utility room for the most part.

G8One2

Patron

Esme101

Dabbler
Then I could just find a sata/sas port on the board and just plug it in without the need for a 3.5 to 2.5 bay converter.

G8One2

Patron
Yes sir. Thats how i have mine

Jessep

Patron
You don't really need dual processor unless you need more RAM slots, more PCIe lanes, or lots of cores for VMs. Also a higher frequency CPU is a better choice for several tasks.

G8One2

Patron
It boils down to intended usage. I have dual CPU's, it helps tremendously with PLEX and transcoding. Yes, it uses more power, but Im proud of my carbon footprint and couldnt care less. It can stream 4k content fairly effortlessly, to multiple clients. If your only using it for file serving though, then yes a dual CPU unit is a bit overkill. Im a go big or go home kind of guy, in that i want the server to do whatever i want it to do, and not be limited by hardware. I prefer performance over being green and saving energy. Some people prefer be more conservative with their usage, and have power savings in mind. All depends on your wallet and intended usage.

Esme101

Dabbler
One of the reasons I chose this server was b/c I dont want to build one, it has 24 bays and the seller sets the controller to IT mode, I dont feel confident with some of the other ebay sellers' servers. I will be running a windows VM at some point and am going have 128gb of RAM.
Also the server is a relatively low price. I see your point through.

G8One2

Patron
I used to, but no longer bother. I get content online, like many others do.

G8One2

Patron
Intel XEON E5-1650 v4 would be a good upgrade from the CPU's the server comes with. Its something you could upgrade at a future date

Esme101

Dabbler
Not a bad idea but I think the mobo would need to be upgraded along with the CPU's. The X9DRi-F only goes up to v2 processors. Though the RAID card/backplane would still be fine.

G8One2

Patron

G8One2

Patron
Hell, for that matter the v2 looks even better lol But you get the idea. It can be upgraded

Esme101

Dabbler
It gets confusing when there are 20 versions of the same processor. When was researching Xeon CPU's I thought it was hilarious how expensive they were back then. Upgradability was one of the main reasons I started looking at FreeNAS systems instead of AIOs like synology or terra.