File Duplicate Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBug

Dabbler
I am looking for software that will allow me to scan for duplicate files, then move all duplicates to another directory. I've tried dupeGuru and it works alright, but not exactly as I want it to. It would be nice if I could scan my entire database once and be done but I find myself going through the list of duplicates dupeGuru gives and finding errors (files that aren't duplicates). And it would be even better if FreeNAS could serve this function.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's odd... I've used picture edition, which does fuzzy matching on image files and it worked perfectly.dupe

Apollo

Wizard
I am looking for software that will allow me to scan for duplicate files, then move all duplicates to another directory. I've tried dupeGuru and it works alright, but not exactly as I want it to. It would be nice if I could scan my entire database once and be done but I find myself going through the list of duplicates dupeGuru gives and finding errors (files that aren't duplicates). And it would be even better if FreeNAS could serve this function.
I am in the same boat as you. I am actually running a script that will explore every single files in the volume and perform "shasum -a 512".
I run it in a "screen" or "Tmux" window and let it run it's course.
At the end, the checksum is stored in a file with the relevant filename and location.

After that, it is a matter of sorting them by checksum and see which of the files are identical.
From there, it's a matter of digging through the list and do manual cleanup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.