Fiber optic suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If the distance was only 30 meters, you could run 40GBase-T over Cat. 8 copper cable. It's less clear what 25GBase-T needs for cable and maximum distance.
It is perhaps a regional thing, but we don't run copper wire building to building for communications because of the propensity of lightning strikes to introduce voltage into the line that will damage the equipment.

Mlovelace

Guru
There's no construction loan, I'm paying cash--so budget is a factor. Not sure I see a benefit in LAGging two lines together, but the cost delta to run a second line (as backup in case one gets damaged, or for future expansion) shouldn't be very much...

Is there anything special I should look for in the cable itself? Even though it would be in conduit, it would still be outdoors, which often imposes requirements for jacketing material and such.
You should look into getting an armored fiber patch cable.

A good option would be: http://www.fs.com/products/41033.html They will do custom lengths, don't be dissuaded by the default lengths.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Uh, you do realize that 40Gbps & 100Gbps have already been in production for years?

It's OM3 MMF 4 fiber for 100 meter, (standardized Feb 16th, 2015).

If the distance was only 30 meters, you could run 40GBase-T over Cat. 8 copper cable. It's less clear what 25GBase-T needs for cable and maximum distance.
In anything besides fancy link aggregation techniques? 40GbE and 100GbE basically have the same physical characteristics as 10GbE on each component lane, as far as I can tell, so they'd use the same cables.

It seems to me that 25Gb/s per fiber is fairly recent, if already available, but ...
It's less clear what 25GBase-T needs for cable and maximum distance.
Exactly, a quick search didn't give me any specific numbers.

What they can do is cram multiple channels in one fiber, at different frequencies. I'm not sure that'll ever be viable with multimode at worthwhile bit rates, but it's in widespread use over singlemode.

Stux

MVP
It is perhaps a regional thing, but we don't run copper wire building to building for communications because of the propensity of lightning strikes to introduce voltage into the line that will damage the equipment.

Also different ground potentials

Stux

MVP
In anything besides fancy link aggregation techniques? 40GbE and 100GbE basically have the same physical characteristics as 10GbE on each component lane, as far as I can tell, so they'd use the same cables.

It seems to me that 25Gb/s per fiber is fairly recent, if already available, but ...

Exactly, a quick search didn't give me any specific numbers.

What they can do is cram multiple channels in one fiber, at different frequencies. I'm not sure that'll ever be viable with multimode at worthwhile bit rates, but it's in widespread use over singlemode.

I think you're implying it, but just for discussions sake I'll state it, 40gbe is in essence 4x10gbe, and 100gbe is likewise, 4x25gbe

AFAIK 100gbe is not 10x10gbe

Stux

MVP
So, in answer to the initial question ;)

Run 100gbe capable fibre to the shed!

;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not sure anyone uses it, but 10x 10Gb is defined.
that's that rectangular MPO connector they hook up to 12 strands right?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
that's that rectangular MPO connector they hook up to 12 strands right?
24 strands, I'd assume, since they'd need at least 20 fibers at 10Gb/s each.

I had to go look it up. Man that can get confusing, what I was thinking was 100GBase-SR4 4x25Gbp/s which @Stux mention what you described is 100GBase-SR10 10x10Gbp/s interesting....

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Doesn't matter with UTP, ethernet is rated for minimum 1kV isolation.

You can blow out super-easy with a nearby lightning strike. This is one of the reasons fiber remains popular even for runs inside a building. As a lightning strike gets closer, the number of considerations on how to best isolate gear increases dramatically. A nearby strike can cause a lot of EM havoc and induce lots of badness even in a properly grounded building. Personally I'd rather worry about that hitting the relatively beefy electronics of a PSU rather than actually coursing directly in via copper ethernet into the delicate chipset, so I like fiber.

As far as going between buildings... Even for normal use, the difference in ground potential can be very high, and there's basically a possibility that you'll be grabbing a high voltage wire when doing maintenance on the circuit. Fiber basically eliminates a lot of issues, and installing fiber is really not super expensive.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, surprise surprise, the project's taking longer than expected. It isn't finished yet, but it's getting there:
upload_2018-8-12_15-18-26.png

I just ordered the cable from lanshack.com; the electrician has been busy getting the new panel installed.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...and finally, almost a year after the question, the server rack is moved out there. Noise and heat level in my study have dropped considerably (not completely; the 5524 has a fan that's still running), the network connection is working fine, and now there's air conditioning in the server room--meaning the disks are much cooler (about 10 deg C across the board). Good deal all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.