ffmpeg error in fresh Nextcloud jail

rippledabs

Cadet
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to TrueNAS and have been trying to figure out how to get Nextcloud to preview movies. I think I tracked it down to an error in ffmpeg. I think I'm doing something dumb here, ffmpeg doesn't want to work. This is a fresh nextcloud jail. See error below.

Jail is 13.1-RELEASE-p9

root@nextjail:~ # ffmpeg
ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libtasn1.so.6: Undefined symbol "strverscmp@FBSD_1.7"

Any pointers?

victort

Guru
The 13.1-RELEASE jails have an issue right now. That same error has been coming up multiple times already in different threads.

I would recommend you don’t use plugins, as they are deprecated. Instead, install Nextcloud using the installation script I have linked to in my signature.

After that, report back and I will guide you further on how to add the previews.

thegoodgood

Cadet
I found the solution! I had this issue with jellyfin when I updated the jail. Turns out the libtasn1 version 4.19 removed some functionality that ffmpeg requires. A solution is to downgrade libtasn1 to version 4.18 from HERE. I personally compiled and installed this. Keep in mind this may introduce vulnerabilities that are patched in the new version I have not analyzed the changes so use at your own risk.

lmcore

Cadet
Hi everyone, I have the same error after upgrading the nextcloud to version 27. What is the command to downgrade the libtasn1 to version 4.18 in the nextcloud jail? Thanks in advance.

nickt

Contributor
Having only just upgraded from TN 12 to 13, I just encountered this problem in a jail I use for a bunch of scripts, one of which uses ffmpeg. There's probably a better way, but I discovered that I had version 4.17 in /var/cache/pkg, presumably left over from TN 12. I was able to downgrade, as follows:

Code:
$ cd /var/cache/pkg
$ sudo pkg delete -f libtasn1-4.19.0
$ sudo pkg add -f libtasn1-4.17.0.pkg

There was some complaining about mismatch in "architectures" (FreeBSD 12 vs 13), but it appears to have fixed the issue. I didn't have 4.18 in the cache, and I couldn't figure out how to source it, so 4.17 will have to do.

victort

Guru
Having only just upgraded from TN 12 to 13, I just encountered this problem in a jail I use for a bunch of scripts, one of which uses ffmpeg. There's probably a better way, but I discovered that I had version 4.17 in /var/cache/pkg, presumably left over from TN 12. I was able to downgrade, as follows:

Code:
$ cd /var/cache/pkg
$ sudo pkg delete -f libtasn1-4.19.0
$ sudo pkg add -f libtasn1-4.17.0.pkg

There was some complaining about mismatch in "architectures" (FreeBSD 12 vs 13), but it appears to have fixed the issue. I didn't have 4.18 in the cache, and I couldn't figure out how to source it, so 4.17 will have to do.
The mismatch is cause probably because your jail is version 13.1
You should upgrade it to 13.2 as 13.1 is EOL

nickt

Contributor
Thanks @victort - that's a good suggestion. I'll do that. But I don't think it's the reason for the complaining. Here's the full output of the pkg add command:

Code:
# pkg add -f libtasn1-4.17.0.pkg
[plex-plexpass] Installing libtasn1-4.17.0...
pkg: wrong architecture: FreeBSD:12:amd64 instead of FreeBSD:13:amd64

I assume it's complaining because 4.17 was packaged with FreeBSD 12, not 13.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'd recommend upgrading your jail to 13.2 and then upgrading all of the packages. That should fix any lingering library/version mismatches. Take a snapshot of your jail first.

Verytutos

Cadet
I'd recommend upgrading your jail to 13.2 and then upgrading all of the packages. That should fix any lingering library/version mismatches. Take a snapshot of your jail first.
I tried to perform the upgrade from 13.1 to 13.2 with iocage upgrade -r 13.2-RELEASE nextcloud but the jail still is 13.1. Also tried iocage fetch (option 2) but doesn't work.

Still have 13.1.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
13.2 would work
13.2-RELEASE would work
13.2-release doesn't.

Verytutos

Cadet
13.2 would work
13.2-RELEASE would work
13.2-release doesn't.
First, I have TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.3. the output of iocage fetch looks fine (I think):

iocage fetch 2.png

I built Nextcloud using Official plugin (I don't know if that has to do with my issue) and doesn't matter how I try, it doesn't want to update the Jail to version 13.2, is always taking 13.1.

iocage 13.2 upgrade.png

iocage 13.2-RELEASE upgrade.png

iocage 13.2-RELEASE upgrade2.png

I have tried every possible way and it doesn't take 13.2. I tried it with other Jails based on plugins and it's more of the same.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If it's a fresh jail anyway, why are you using the plugin? Plugins are deprecated exactly for the reason you are now experiencing. Please set up a standard jail and use e.g. @danb35's script to install Nextcloud. Updates will be painless.

lmcore

Cadet
First, I have TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.3. the output of iocage fetch looks fine (I think):

View attachment 70371

I built Nextcloud using Official plugin (I don't know if that has to do with my issue) and doesn't matter how I try, it doesn't want to update the Jail to version 13.2, is always taking 13.1.

View attachment 70372

View attachment 70373

View attachment 70374

I have tried every possible way and it doesn't take 13.2. I tried it with other Jails based on plugins and it's more of the same.
Same here, I have version 13.1, I tried to do the updated and it refuses to go to version 13.2.
I created my Nextcloud instance using the plugin some time ago. I assume I would need to migrate all the data and users to a new jail.
I think the migration from a dated version of a jail (with issues) to a new one will not be easy either.
My truenas is TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3.
I have not tried to downgrade the libtasn1 yet hoping to find a solution for upgrading the jail to 13.2 first.
I will try again and share the results with you all as well, probably it works this time. So, you can catch additional info that helps.

KSTJ

Cadet
Same here, I have version 13.1, I tried to do the updated and it refuses to go to version 13.2.
I created my Nextcloud instance using the plugin some time ago. I assume I would need to migrate all the data and users to a new jail.
I think the migration from a dated version of a jail (with issues) to a new one will not be easy either.
My truenas is TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3.
I have not tried to downgrade the libtasn1 yet hoping to find a solution for upgrading the jail to 13.2 first.
I will try again and share the results with you all as well, probably it works this time. So, you can catch additional info that helps.
I'm right there with you. I had mistakenly thought that the plugin would be the simplist way to go for nextcloud (not knowing that it was scheduled to be depreciated). I've got some reading and learning to do, but I'm way outside of my wheelhouse and this is probably going to cost me at least a weekend.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Problem is that you cannot update plugins unless the plugin maintainer provides an update on Github. That's why using a plain standard jail is the recommended way to install any software, now.

victort

Guru
I'm right there with you. I had mistakenly thought that the plugin would be the simplist way to go for nextcloud (not knowing that it was scheduled to be depreciated). I've got some reading and learning to do, but I'm way outside of my wheelhouse and this is probably going to cost me at least a weekend.
Worth it in the end though. If you use the script by danb35, you gain knowledge about many different things.

lmcore

Cadet
Hello everyone, I assume there is very little chance for an update of the plugin. I think Patrick advice is the way to go. But I am afraid to break something that is working relatively well. I assume eventually will fail because of the (cumulative) lack of updates.

The guide to install the new nextcloud instance (danb35) that victort mentions above looks very good. However, I did not find a good guide to migrate data and user information to another nextcloud instance inside a newer iocage version.

Anyone knows if data and user information can be uploaded into the new iocage by just replacing databases?
(I am just oversimplifying the idea)

I found online this article in "Scott Harvanek Site" (https://www.scottharvanek.com/?p=556) dealing with the upgrade of the nextcloud plugin to version 27.02.

It makes sense, because it deals with the installation of php8 or higher, the main issue after upgrading to version 27 using the plugin, that should solve the issue with the ffmpeg.

victort

Guru
It really depends on what you have for users. If you have only one user, it can be as simple as running the install, copying your files to to corresponding folder on your pool, and doing an occ files:scan --all

How many users do you have?

How much data?

lmcore

Cadet
It really depends on what you have for users. If you have only one user, it can be as simple as running the install, copying your files to to corresponding folder on your pool, and doing an occ files:scan --all

How many users do you have?

How much data?
Thanks a lot for your response. I have 13 users (including myself), data is about 250GB.

victort

Guru
Since you will have to move the files anyway, here is a suggestion.

Install nextcloud using the script.
Create your respective users in the GUI.

Copy all corresponding files from your old jail into the proper directories containing each users files.
Run the occ files:scan --all