Feedback requested on proposed change to FreeNAS project's bug reporting system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

As we're sure most of you are aware, the FreeNAS project currently uses the Trac bug reporting
system for creating and managing bug reports from the FreeNAS user community. While serviceable,
this system has a number of limitations that (in our humble opinions) make bugs more difficult to
triage and manage through the FreeNAS release cycle than they should be.

Therefore, in order to better serve the FreeNAS community and do a better job of tracking bugs,
the FreeNAS development team would like to migrate to a newer, more capable, bug tracking system.
Such a system needs to offer, at a minimum:
  • A better user interface for creating bugs
  • A better user interface for querying and tracking bug status
  • Better performance, particularly in some key areas, than the existing bug reporting system
  • The ability to easily relate and organize bugs by milestone
  • The ability to support reporting and tracking bugs for multiple sub-projects, including the Forum software (which could use more attention being paid to its bugs)
  • Extensibility for future needs
To that end, we have spent the last couple of weeks investigating a few different bug reporting systems which are also compatible with the Open Source philosophy of the FreeNAS project.

So far, our most favorable impression has been of Redmine ( http://www.redmine.org ). Redmine is an open-source system, used successfully by many different projects such as Illumos ( https://www.illumos.org/projects/illumos-gate/issues/ ), DragonFlyBSD ( http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/ ), Lighttpd ( http://redmine.lighttpd.net/ ), and others (http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/WeAreUsingRedmine). During our evaluation, it was the only one to cover all of our wish list items above and offers a modern and extensible implementation written in Rails.

Before taking such a migration step, however, we felt it obviously necessary to first discuss it with you, the FreeNAS community! Does anyone in this community have any advice or experience to offer on setting up and using other bug tracking systems, ones possibly preferable to Redmine (and we'd also appreciate such preferences being somehow quantified, if possible, since everyone has a "subjective favorite")? Are there any characteristics of Redmine that you think would disqualify it from consideration, bearing in mind that the status-quo would remain Trac in the event of a deadlock?

Please let us know! We want to involve the community as we evolve the project's infrastructure and we value your input.

Sincerely,

The FreeNAS Developers

paleoN

Wizard
While serviceable,
this system has a number of limitations that (in our humble opinions) make bugs more difficult to
triage and manage through the FreeNAS release cycle than they should be.
If this somehow helps on the developers' side then by all means go for it.

The ability to support reporting and tracking bugs for multiple sub-projects, including the Forum software (which could use more attention being paid to its bugs)
I don't see much point in tracking Forum software bugs if no one has time to work on them anyway.

Are there any characteristics of Redmine that you think would disqualify it from consideration, bearing in mind that the status-quo would remain Trac in the event of a deadlock?
It doesn't seem to function as well with scripting disabled, but that would hardly disqualify it. I kind of like how Trac looks too.

I can't imagine it's any more difficult for users to create a ticket with Redmine, and if it's better for the developers, why not?

J

jkh

I don't see much point in tracking Forum software bugs if no one has time to work on them anyway.

The fact that Forum software bugs (and the inattention to them) has been such a sore point is the reason why that specific example was cited. We will be regularly reviewing and pushing for progress on *all* bugs submitted, not just the ones in the *NAS project. Infrastructure is important. If it's gotten short-shrift in early times, that will change!

Thank you for your feedback.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have helped set up a ChiliProject site for a small development team, which is merely a fork of RedMine. I think RedMine (and its forks) are at the top of the list for bug tracking. It is easy to create tickets and keep track of issues. I have always found Trac a little weak in usability.

You might have a look at JIRA (it integrates well with git) or DoneDone

Out of all the products out there, I would probably go with RedMine (ChiliProject) or JIRA.

J

jkh

We did actually look at Jira, thanks. There was nothing it did that redmine didn't do (at least for our purposes - I'm not trying to make an absolute statement here) and Redmine is entirely free with no issues surrounding access to the source code, so it was kind of a no-brainer comparison. We also had some performance issues with our test deployment of Jira - I don't know if it was the inferior quality of the Java runtime environment we had set up for it or Jira itself - our Java expertise is limited. :)

pauldonovan

Explorer
We also had some performance issues with our test deployment of Jira - I don't know if it was the inferior quality of the Java runtime environment we had set up for it or Jira itself - our Java expertise is limited. :)

I expect it was the environment you were testing JIRA in. We use it at work on an old physical server which really struggles to start up the service - 15 minutes or so. Once it's up and running it performs well enough. The slow startup and awkward upgrade process means it's not one of the most favourite parts of my job.

paleoN

Wizard
We will be regularly reviewing and pushing for progress on *all* bugs submitted, not just the ones in the *NAS project. Infrastructure is important. If it's gotten short-shrift in early times, that will change!
The people who work on the forums already have a list of issues to work on. How does having those issues in Redmine gives them any more time to work on them? Time will tell either way. Then you can have me eat those words. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The people who work on the forums already have a list of issues to work on. How does having those issues in Redmine gives them any more time to work on them? Time will tell either way. Then you can have me eat those words. ;)
Exactly. I was really hesitant to even respond to this thread. It makes my blood boil to even hear the word "promise" and "forum bugs fixed" after all the promises we've been given over the last 2 years. But now my blood is boiling, so here goes....

For more than 2 years its been empty promises.

Then in May it was an upgrade that was more of a downgrade without warning on a Friday afternoon(and naturally nobody was going to try to fix anything on their weekend off). Then, lots of apologies and "it'll be fixed.. give us time". "We have to learn the new software" we were told since, for some reason, instead of sticking with software that at least one person knew well, we should upgrade to something that nobody knows. Then more apologies and promises that stuff will get fixed. It'll just be slow because nobody knows the software.

Then a few weeks later it was "throw your problems in this spreadsheet" that was then abandoned promptly with a whole whopping ZERO fixes implemented from that spreadsheet. We even had issues that were created while trying to fix ohter issues that hadn't made it to the spreadsheet yet (ex: line 9 on that spreadsheet). Guess what, its still there more than a month later. We were then promised that there would be resources put into fixing the forum after 9.1 hits RELEASE. Well, that was Aug 2nd and I can't really point a finger on any issues that have been fixed either. And let me tell you, I'm getting VERY tired of having to scroll down to the bottom of every post to see the time and date of the post so I can scroll back up to read the actual post(item 11 on the abandoned spreadsheet). And what really sucks about item 11. It was changed about an hour after the forum was first updated to the new software, so someone actually made it worse and never went back to fix it.

Now, there's more promises, Redmine is going to track forum issues so they actually get fixed. Call me cynical... call me negative... but I have to respond with a "yeah.. riiiiiiiiiiiight". And I don't think its being cynical or negative when it also has the virtue of being reality.

Well, we've had no problem with documenting issues. Our problem has always been that the forum isn't a priority for iXsystems. It doesn't get any dedicated resources, issues are never fixed regularly, but there are abundant "promises"(notice the quotes.. that's no accident) to be fixed right after something else that's a higher priority. Feel free to fill in the "something else" with whatever is today's priority.

Well, 9.1 is out, has been out, and nothing is being fixed(or worked on that I can see). Whomever wants to make promises and apologies are welcome to continue to do so. But that doesn't fix the forum and I'm all out of accepting "promises" and "apologies". When I was a child my parents taught me that part of making an apology is the promise to not do it again. Since clearly we can and should expect it to happen again, why accept the "promises" and "apologies".

The disappointing part is that I have a post somewhere here where I made it clear what I expected the future to bring, and so far I'm right on target. You really can't aim much lower and be wrong. Back in early July when the "promise" of resources to the forum after 9.1 hit RELEASE I said made it very vocal that it the forum wouldn't be fixed after 9.1(unless what you meant to say was right after 10.0 is released, which is technically still after 9.1). It would be more "promises" of after the "next" release, then the next after that. 9.1 would come and go and resources wouldn't be reallocated. You know that back in 8.0.4 days we were promised fixes to the forum after 8.2. And I've heard from other people that the forum was promised to be fixed back in 8.0.2 days(which is before my time).

I put about 25 hours into my presentation just for this most recent update when I updated it to include info for 9.1. Right now its shared via my Dropbox and despite Ms. Lavigne best efforts at trying to get the forum to accept a 10MB file, it always returns an "unknown error". I don't know what the cap is for downloaded data per day/week/month/whatever but if I hit that cap I'll be taking down the presentation before I am forced to go to a paid account. While lots of people praise my presentation, and I get people emailing me thanking for their presentation from the NAS4Free forums, I donate my time to that presentation. If I'm donating my time to something that prevents duplicate posts up the ying-yang(since we couldn't get item 12 on the spreadsheet implemented in more than 8 months and counting) and I am sick and tired of the duplicate posts trashing the forum(and I know I'm not alone.. just ask protosd.. if you can find him) I think that the least that I should be able to expect is that the people that own the forum and aren't donating their time should be able to keep the forum functioning.

Anyway, I'm done. I could say plenty more, but my posts listing my gripes with the forum have been deleted in the past, and I don't have any illusions that my time spent on this post actually will change anything. Besides, now I'm plenty pissed. But, I did love how paleoN was able to bring up the fact that the forums are ignored in a very PC manner. Kudos for that. I, on the other hand, am not about politics. If you don't want to honor your promises don't expect me to waste my time sugar coating your failures. The fact that any moderator can even make the argument that issues have been ignored for years should have been all that was needed to promote change.

Several moderators that left last year as well as this year told me I should leave. They said "I am way to smart to be wasting my time in a forum like this with such poor support and involvement of the owners".

I may not drink, but I think its time to go see how fast I can get sloshed just so I can forget this horrible thread.

But don't worry everyone.. right after FreeNAS moves to the redmine it'll ALL be better. We promise! For real this time! You really can hold our feet to the fire this time even though we told you that you could hold our feet to the fire in May.

J

jkh

Heh. That is an entirely fair question, to which I'll try to give you the best answer(s) I can (yes, I did also read cyberjock's much longer posting on this topic, but it's so long and emotional that I'd frankly prefer to just skip past all the invective and keep this thread on the level of more intellectually productive discourse).

First, let me correct the evident misconception that we're switching away from trac simply for the recreational value in migrating bug tracking systems and when we're done, it's going to be a wash in terms of the resources dedicated to fixing the actual bugs - bug ignored in system A becomes bug ignored in system B!

I've only been at iXsystems for a few weeks now (literally, I haven't even been here a full month) but one of the first significant requests I got from engineering was to reform the bug tracking system because everyone (except for maybe one person :) ) hated trac and it was becoming a roach motel for unfixed bugs. Sure, that may indeed have been just a big cover story for other maladies (it did occur to me - I wasn't born yesterday) but I've also used and hated trac in other projects before, so it was also hard to simply discredit the assertion that it was hard to use and holding at least some people back (and please don't forget, not just the folks "not working on the Forum" use the same bug tracking system, and bugs DO flow through it). So anyway, "fine," I say. "We'll fix Trac and we'll do it quickly so that we can move on to actually going through that nasty-ass backlog of bugs!" So far so good - we're making rapid progress on that front, and it was specifically because the Forum migration was such a disaster that I made sure this forum was given a heads-up on the migration this time, not simply sprung on everyone by surprise. It is just a little ironic that a thread intended to include the community on a decision in *advance* is now being used to discuss the ill feelings that failing to give advance notice before has generated! Oh well, I'm a big boy, I can handle that. Let's move on to your second point, which concerns resources and how they have been managed up until now.

Yes, promises have evidently been made and been broken concerning this forum - you're not the first to let me know about that particular mine field I inherited when I took the CTO job at iXSystems. I'm still discovering where the mines are. I didn't even know until just now that there had been a "promise spreadsheet" made, nor are the existing Forum bugs particularly easy to find (I just looked, and if there's a logical system there, I don't see it - I rather hoped there would be a component called "Forum" but no such luck!).

The fact that things went down that way does indeed suck, and I wish I had a time machine so I could go back to before my hire date and do lots of things differently, but I don't have one of those and can only play the hand I've been dealt from this point forward. I hope that when people read my forum postings, they'll at least take that fact into account. I also hope they'll take into account the fact that I'm here at all, and if I was at all inclined to duck responsibility for the infrastructure now that it was on my plate, I'd probably be hiding away from the public like most senior managers are inclined to do. I'm not. Hi.

I'll make you all a deal, and you can either take it on faith that my promises are better than those you've had before or you can just cynically decide it's more of the same and I suck without even giving me a shot - I can't make that decision for you. Let's first get the bug tracking system transitioned to something that doesn't make some of my engineers puke (and where I can't even find anything myself), a process which will also involve portaging all of the bugs across so I don't want to waste any effort on something that's in the process of departing. That will happen before the end of this month - stay posted for more this week on that topic.

I will then personally join the moderators, or anyone else who wants to help, in the process of reviewing the forum-related bugs and sticking them into a taxonomy that can be easily found and prioritized. I can't do that alone since I've only been using the forum software for a few weeks - you need to tell me what's most important to you. If anyone also wants to send me a list of bug numbers in that system (a post-transition task since those #s are about to be changed into redmine equivalents) that they personally care about, I will respond by setting the appropriate priority on them (since I'll know the original bug filer hasn't simply died and/or gone away) AND by finding someone to work on them in priority order, even if it takes a new hire or consultant to make it happen. All of you will be in a position to either applaud or call BS on me because you'll also be able to see the bugs being closed and the forums evolve in real-time.

Enough said. This is the best that I can do!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It is just a little ironic that a thread intended to include the community on a decision in *advance* is now being used to discuss the ill feelings that failing to give advance notice before has generated! Oh well, I'm a big boy, I can handle that.

My complaint isn't about the advance discussion. I thought it was very unique to be involved in the decision making process at all. Normally we find out that there was even a discussion after we log into the new system and ask ourselves what happened and facepalm. I know I about threw up when I saw the new forum back in May. We took something that was broke and broke a whole bunch of new stuff. Just for fun, of course!

Yes, promises have evidently been made and been broken concerning this forum - you're not the first to let me know about that particular mine field I inherited when I took the CTO job at iXSystems. I'm still discovering where the mines are. I didn't even know until just now that there had been a "promise spreadsheet" made, nor are the existing Forum bugs particularly easy to find (I just looked, and if there's a logical system there, I don't see it - I rather hoped there would be a component called "Forum" but no such luck!).

There is a "Staff Area" that is only available for mods and admins. That's where the spreadsheet is. Something tells me you don't have access to it. Don't feel too bad.. I didn't have permissions to edit my own signature when it was broken for almost 3 weeks. I didn't have permissions to start a PM with anyone for 3 weeks, and my color scheme was broken for about 10 days. For almost a month after the new forum upgrade the forum was more usable when I was a "guest" than logged in as myself. Yes, it was THAT broken. Even now, I have no clue what settings may or may not be screwed up with my account that I don't even know about and just assume that its just as broken for everyone else.

The fact that things went down that way does indeed suck, and I wish I had a time machine so I could go back to before my hire date and do lots of things differently, but I don't have one of those and can only play the hand I've been dealt from this point forward. I hope that when people read my forum postings, they'll at least take that fact into account. I also hope they'll take into account the fact that I'm here at all, and if I was at all inclined to duck responsibility for the infrastructure now that it was on my plate, I'd probably be hiding away from the public like most senior managers are inclined to do. I'm not. Hi.

Don't you love being handed the keys to dad's new automobile, then you turn around and find out the car's parked in the middle of the street and there's a nice friendly policeman writing YOU a ticket for not parking it in your driveway? LOL. You aren't the first person that's gotten the keys to the forum and realized how broken it is. At least you're getting paid for the BS and I donate my time and get the BS as a free bonus! It's like a "buy one get one free", but better!

I'll make you all a deal, and you can either take it on faith that my promises are better than those you've had before or you can just cynically decide it's more of the same and I suck without even giving me a shot - I can't make that decision for you.

Ok. Just be forwarned that the proverbial bank account is already in the negative. I really have no opinion of you personally. Never really saw you post until this thread, and I was more than surprised that you were even soliciting feedback from the community. But the problems that many people have aren't with a single person. Its that the forum has been neglected by iXsystems. If "iXsystems" is a euphemism for you, then fine. I really have no clue of the hierarchy in iXsystems, who does or doesn't make choices, if I'm happy with their choice, etc. I just look at it from the point of view of your typical user that sees the all-powerful iXsystems make promises and then break them over and over without remorse. I can't exactly fault James(or insert any other name you want) if he's being told not to work on the forum and he's the one that's supposed to be working on it. So I choose not to fault James(again, insert any other name you want) and instead fault "iXsystems" in general. I know some people that aren't responsible at all for the forum problems. William, dlavigne and dwhite come to mind. But I can't point the finger at who I should blame for the screwups. And it really doesn't change anything even if I could blame someone by name. The stuff is still broken. And that's what really matters to me.

Let's first get the bug tracking system transitioned to something that doesn't make some of my engineers puke (and where I can't even find anything myself), a process which will also involve portaging all of the bugs across so I don't want to waste any effort on something that's in the process of departing.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find the useful posts in this forum now? The signal to noise ratio is very poor and has been for quite a long time. This is why there was discussion with having topic #12 added a very long time ago. You guys took so long to implement it(hint: it's still not implemented) that many of the experienced FreeBSD users have already left(and good luck trying to build that bridge again). The few of us that are left are running out of patience with answering the same posts day in and day out. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a post that was actually thought provoking. It has been this way for quite some time because we aren't filtering out the rif-raff in the forum. At this point, I feel like there's no hope for the forum without just wiping the whole thing clean and starting over with enforced rules for duplicate posts, cross posting, and searching. Right now someone makes a post with a problem on Monday, then Wednesday the same question is asked again by someone else, then Thursday by someone else, then Friday by someone else. Then, for the next 3 months we'll see the same question show up 3 times a week because nobody can search and find that one post in 100 that has the long detailed explanation. No, I'm not exagerating this either. It really is that frequently. I've told people "look down 2 posts" more than once.

Many posts that were created (some that I spent hours putting instructions together for) aren't even legible now because of the forum software upgrade. Many links don't work at all since the forum upgrade. I can't even find the link right now because I can't even search for it. But, as far as I know, it hasn't been fixed. When I posted wherever/whenever I found the problem the answer I was given(not sure if I'm getting it 100%) was something to the effect of "the migration from the old database to the new database wasn't quite as through as we had thought". No additional information was provided that I'm aware of, but I don't bother tracking them anymore because I don't really expect them to be fixed. Reporting them just doesn't do much good except add a bullet to someone's "todo in 2029" clipboard.

So pardon me if I don't feel too bad for the engineers that are upset with their bug tracking system. From my (albeit limited) experience with FreeNAS' bug tracking system, I have yet to see tickets that randomly disappear and are no longer available to view, have the same bug reported 3 times a week for months(even after you've fixed it 2 releases ago) and a lot of the information people tried to provide to help find the bug is now trashed illegible text but you are still expected to know what it said.

I will then personally join the moderators, or anyone else who wants to help, in the process of reviewing the forum-related bugs and sticking them into a taxonomy that can be easily found and prioritized.

There was a push to get someone to volunteer to help with the forums months and months ago(2012? I forget the exact time frame now). Do you know what happened? Everyone laughed and said "yeah.. I don't want to be part of that". The mods all discussed amongst ourselves how badly it would go for the poor soul that was crazy enough to accept the challenge. Holykiller then was inducted into the position of "forum admin". I PMed him with something like "I don't know if I should congratulate you or say i'm sorry." We all know how that went. He had no clue a software upgrade was even coming until it was implemented. LOL.

I can't do that alone since I've only been using the forum software for a few weeks - you need to tell me what's most important to you. If anyone also wants to send me a list of bug numbers in that system (a post-transition task since those #s are about to be changed into redmine equivalents) that they personally care about, I will respond by setting the appropriate priority on them (since I'll know the original bug filer hasn't simply died and/or gone away) AND by finding someone to work on them in priority order, even if it takes a new hire or consultant to make it happen. All of you will be in a position to either applaud or call BS on me because you'll also be able to see the bugs being closed and the forums evolve in real-time.

Honestly, I think my brain just exploded. The fact that any of the bugs could be prioritized for fixing is something that I can't even grasp. In all honesty, I don't even know where I'd start to categorize them. At this point I think we're to the point of almost having to wipe the slate clean and start over with the forums. For example, my issue with the date/time of a post being at the bottom of every post instead of the top(like the forum used to be and every other technical forum I read regularly) is probably my biggest gripe, personally. But the fact that the forum search feature is broken in multiple ways (again/still ....) is probably more important to the masses.

It's nothing personal Mr. Hubbard, but I don't think you really understand how many broken promises have been handed to the mods. As the story goes more than 20 have left the forums since FreeNAS 8 began because they got tired of it. And after those bridges are burned I don't think you're going to convince people to come back. I'm really glad that gpsguy and one or two other people have started posting and replying to the duplicates that we see daily. Because with the gaping hole that was left due to the mass exodus of experienced users thanks to the botched forum upgrade in May, I'd have quit the forums already over the incessant posting of the same question every day.

And quite a few people with more forum knowledge than myself have said that XenForo was perhaps the worst choice for forum software in a technical-oriented forum. I have limited knowledge, but those individuals(I can't remember who they were, when they said it, or what they recommended instead) said that it will take so much time to fix XenForo to really be as useful as the old software was that it would be better to just switch to something else than spend the resources trying to make XenForo work for us. Several moderators even commented back in May that the forums should have been rolled back to the old software because this "upgrade" was no upgrade at all.

One person said that this new software uses flash heavily. I don't know about other people, but come August 31 I'm removing flash from my desktops. I just don't trust Flash anymore. If the forum isn't functional without Flash, then I guess it'll be my time to move on. I've been going without Flash for a few months on my laptop and I have no intention of keeping it around just for this forum.

Anyway, this has gotten way off the topic that was originally intended. (Where's a mod to moderate when you need one!). If this needs to be discussed further we should probably take it to the Staff Area. (Mr. Hubbard, you should give that section a read. There isn't much there, but it would definitely be enlightening.)

Regarding the forum ticket system, I've never seen a forum as broken as this one. Talking to a few other forum owners on other technical websites I have been a member of have said that the software typically manages itself once its setup properly. They did forum upgrades by doing testing for weeks/months, then rolled it out after it was up and working. Few small issues here and there, but nothing requiring a checklist, bug tracking system, etc.

More commonly the issue on forums is with personality conflicts, which are few and far between. Mostly people just stop posting in the thread because they decide its not worth their time to even bother with a response. Most commonly I'd say that the personality conflicts are from people that show up in the forum with no knowledge of what they are doing, aren't willing to read the manual and figure it out for themselves, and practically expect a moderator to do a teamviewer session and setup their FreeNAS server for them with hardware that doesn't meet the minimum requirements by a decade. They get upset when they are provided a link to a thread with instructions for setting up whatever feature they want, and then accuse you of having a bad attitude when your answer isn't dumbed down to the point that your senile grandma could do it. But you can't fix those kinds of people and they usually leave because they don't like the "attitude" of the forum.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
And let me tell you, I'm getting VERY tired of having to scroll down to the bottom of every post to see the time and date of the post so I can scroll back up to read the actual post(item 11 on the abandoned spreadsheet). And what really sucks about item 11. It was changed about an hour after the forum was first updated to the new software, so someone actually made it worse and never went back to fix it.

Hi cyberjock! I just came from a cinema with mi girlfriend. We were on RED2 - a quite good action-comedy (i like Bruce and his humor). I am in good mood and while my GF is in the bathroom, i just fixed that time-stamp for you (and everyone else). Hell i also changed color of it (hardcoded, but who cares?) to bit darker so it is readable also on sh!tty TN panels. My 5cents (5min?) job was done and i am going to enjoy a good sleep now ^^

EDIT: Ah, one more thing. The reason why you can not upload your 10MB presentation is (probably) because of the webserver or PHP upload limit. I already posted that in staff area, but you know how things are here :]

paleoN

Wizard
I've only been at iXsystems for a few weeks now (literally, I haven't even been here a full month) but one of the first significant requests I got from engineering was to reform the bug tracking system because everyone (except for maybe one person :) ) hated trac and it was becoming a roach motel for unfixed bugs. Sure, that may indeed have been just a big cover story for other maladies (it did occur to me - I wasn't born yesterday) but I've also used and hated trac in other projects before, so it was also hard to simply discredit the assertion that it was hard to use and holding at least some people back (and please don't forget, not just the folks "not working on the Forum" use the same bug tracking system, and bugs DO flow through it).
My own personal view is the bug tracking system is primarily for developers. If they want, not even need, but want a new one they should get it. Users need to be able to readily create tickets and search existing ones. Redmine seems to fit the bill. Also, if I'm not mistaken currently trac is only for *NAS project.

It is just a little ironic that a thread intended to include the community on a decision in *advance* is now being used to discuss the ill feelings that failing to give advance notice before has generated! Oh well, I'm a big boy, I can handle that.
Well you, the initial post, did mention it first. :p I had intended for my previous reply to be the last one in this thread. It is a bit off-topic.

I hope that when people read my forum postings, they'll at least take that fact into account.
Naturally, I know I do.

I'll make you all a deal, and you can either take it on faith that my promises are better than those you've had before or you can just cynically decide it's more of the same and I suck without even giving me a shot - I can't make that decision for you.
I'll go with option 3: Hold in abeyance any "judgements" and wait & see what happens. I suppose that doesn't take into account your own history. Not sure if it should make you feel any better, but I do have expectations of you.

Excellent. Great response and I wasn't expecting any. Yes, let the actions speak.

Anyway, this has gotten way off the topic that was originally intended. (Where's a mod to moderate when you need one!). If this needs to be discussed further we should probably take it to the Staff Area
No. Discussion should happen in the open forums in plain sight, but I agree it is off-topic.

I just came from a cinema with mi girlfriend. We were on RED2 - a quite good action-comedy (i like Bruce and his humor). I am in good mood and while my GF is in the bathroom, i just fixed that time-stamp for you (and everyone else).
Nice, thanks. Also, I still need to see the first one.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I am dizzy. Now I scroll down, scroll up, then want to kick myself because I scrolled down out of habit and not because of the need. Haha.

Now I'll spend the next month scrolling down, up, the laughing at myself because I'm trained to go down, then up on every post.

J

jkh

One more comment, then I'll let us get back to the original thread (bug tracking systems, for those who've forgotten :P ). I'm certainly not in love with the current Forum software. By the sound of it, nobody else is either. If anyone has specific suggestions and/or preferences, we can certainly stage a few of the most popular ones (hey, VMs are easy and cheap to create) and then play around with them. I do know that social networking integration is kind of a must these days (my missing time machine also can't roll us back to the days before Facebook and Twitter) so I hope that nobody will advocate going back to BBS software (we'd have to find a TRS-80 emulator or something), but anything reasonably modern is certainly worth a look! You know where to find me with your suggestions... :)

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
BBS! oh my.. that's way old school. I remember doing that with my "super fast" 4800 baud. LOL. Those were the days. One thing I liked back then.. if you used a computer at all, you weren't brainless scum like many people are these days.

As long as we don't get back the 50 like/dislike/hate/you're-stupid/this-post-sucks/etc. that we had when this forum upgrade first rolled out I don't care about any social integration. I don't use much of anything anyway.

gpsguy

Amen to that!

I'm certainly not in love with the current Forum software.

I started in '82/83 with an 300 baud acoustic coupler, accessing Compu$erve for $6.50/hr. And, as modem speeds the rate increased to $22.80/hr. One had to pay to play.

I remember doing that with my "super fast" 4800 baud. LOL. Those were the days. One thing I liked back then. if you used a computer at all, you weren't brainless scum like many people are these days.

pbucher

Contributor
Getting back to business:

As a very regular user of the FreeNAS trac, my only request is to setup the source repo integration in redmine and to migrate the open bugs to it. In the end I agree that if the developers want redmine then give it to them and a huge thanks to Jordan for the heads up and giving us a chance to comment on it. Also switching PC-BSD to redmine would be cool, just to keep things consistent.

Now for the forum software it self. I agree that XenForo is probably a bit too social and modern for it's target audience, but from someone who just got done evaluating forum software I'll throw in my 2 cents. The cold hard facts are that the vBulletin that everyone loves(used by the FreeBSD forums and other techie sites) has hit rock bottom. The company was sold, the main developers left after issues with the new owners, the former main developers wrote XenForo, the new developers wrote version 5 of vBulletin which is a complete disaster(If I recall correctly it was the bad switch to vBulletin v5 that happened right before the hasty switch to XenForo). At the end of the day despite the fact I hate social media and social web sites I think the current site despite it's problems is workable and you really aren't going to get a better choice. Keep in mind it is currently 1.x software, the only reason it's usable is because it was written by developers with experience with forums and is really the successor to vBulletin. Also take a look at this post for a bigger picture of XenForo.

In summary I think the issue is more about communication of changes, the dislike of change, and the lack of attention to reported forum issues. I guess I'm willing to cut iX some slack since I'm a developer myself with a plate that's way too full and I know things like forum software and dealing with user postings often get the short end of the stick in a small shop. I'm not saying it's right, it's just reality.

In the end switch to redmine but keep XenForo is my vote.........

titan_rw

Guru
I still dislike the new forums appearance. I posted screenshots of how the old forum looked in this thread: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/new-forum-design.13117/page-2#post-62023

I still think the old forum had a much better look to it. Cleaner, simpler, less 'pastel-ly', if that's a word.

I also don't access the forum through any social media. The only thing outside of the web interface I use is tapatalk. I actually think it's better through tapatalk because you don't get the xenforo look to the forums. Tapatalk seems to use it's own styles.

As for the bug tracking system, I really don't use it that much, so I think whatever the developers want, should have the greatest weight on what gets implemented.

J

jkh

In summary I think the issue is more about communication of changes, the dislike of change, and the lack of attention to reported forum issues. I guess I'm willing to cut iX some slack since I'm a developer myself with a plate that's way too full and I know things like forum software and dealing with user postings often get the short end of the stick in a small shop. I'm not saying it's right, it's just reality.

I'm sorry, but this posting simply does not meet the minimum Forum quota requirements for random vituperation, bitter accusations, unreasonable demands, suggestions that certain people or organizations die a fiery death with or without the use of accelerants, and other necessary drama. In point of fact, it is so entirely understanding and reasonable in tone that any rational person might think you had inadvertently posted to the wrong forum entirely. Perhaps you were actually aiming for the "Bronies" forum for adult fans of My Little Pony? That is mere speculation on my part, but the format seems to fit that demographic!

- Jordan

P.S. I'm just kidding, of course. I know that Bronies actually fight like cats and dogs over topics like "Is Pinkie Pie actually mentally ill, or is she merely ``spirited and individualistic?''

pbucher

Contributor
Perhaps you were actually aiming for the "Bronies" forum for adult fans of My Little Pony?

dam it I did it again...I gotta be more careful about hitting the send key..... ;)

lol you just made my afternoon...

-Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.