Failed to boot after upgrade to some nightlies version

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeroenDB

Cadet
Hi,

I have a (small) issue, my freenas isn't booting anymore :)
I updated it in the beginning of previous week (I think... I'm pretty sure it was one of the latest releases, something like the 24th of april?...) and I believe I upgraded from a stable 9.10 version to a certain nightlies version (sorry, I really can't remember which one).
So FreeNAS wasn't booting and I decided to not spent any time on it until now...
I had to hook up an old screen to find out what's wrong, there were tons of errors displayed while booting, I managed to capture some on photo but it's only a small part, please have a look;
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxZfi4_0b-8KVUlRNGlPajlNNms?usp=sharing

After some research I found out that it would be recommended that I do a fresh install of 9.10-STABLE, can anyone confirm this?

I also have a question; my freenas boot usb was redundant, so I had 2 USB sticks. Is there a possibility to recover an earlier state if I install 9.10 on 1 drive and than gain access to the 2nd drive? I'm almost certain I have at least 2 earlier stable installs but couldn't find out how to roll an old one back...

Lesson well learned: I'll temper my enthusiasm and stick to the stable versions... :rolleyes:

Many thanks in advance!
Jeroen

m0nkey_

MVP
If you get the Grub boot loader, just boot into the previous environment.

JeroenDB

Cadet
If you get the Grub boot loader, just boot into the previous environment.
Well it didn't load, it always went directly to booting freenas (after a black screen for a while). But I found out the screen might have been the issue, it's old and might be less responsive while booting, so I pressed my arrows repeatedly when booting and it loaded... I really feel dumb right now :)

Seemed that I had 9.10.2-U2 and did the upgrade to Corral and than later on did the upgrade to 10 (suppose nightlies). So upgrading in this way shouldn't be done, that's for sure now...

EDIT: I selected 9.10.2-U2 in the GRUB but I get exactly the same result as earlier... Will try with Corral and 9.10.2 and earlier

JeroenDB

Cadet
Seems like the update to 11 was the cause? I now booted to 9.10.2, ZFS pools were imported correct
9.10.2.PNG

EDIT: 9.10.2-U2 now also works, strange...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.