FAILED SMART self-check

Status
Not open for further replies.

owner524

Dabbler
title says it all how do I fix this the right way ??? I had a hard drive go bad so I replaced it when I booted up the system I got this error Device: /dev/ada1, FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW. I tired doing some command line that I read on the forums and it shows the hard drives being fine so any help ???

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Start by following the forum rules and posting the required information.

And specify what that "command line [stuff] that [you] read" was.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
title says it all how do I fix this the right way ??? I had a hard drive go bad so I replaced it when I booted up the system I got this error Device: /dev/ada1, FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW. I tired doing some command line that I read on the forums and it shows the hard drives being fine so any help ???

You redo that but with a different command line and while also sacrificing a chicken to the storage god, Zuul.

Ghostbusters-Zuul.jpg

HTH.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What is hilarious is that my main server (6TBx10) is called "zuul". :D

No way am i sacrificing storage to @cyberjock ......unless he can make some voodoo magic and make my 4Tb Reds into 6Tb SSD's :P

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

owner524

Dabbler
Start by following the forum rules and posting the required information.

And specify what that "command line [stuff] that [you] read" was.

what forum rules ??

this is the error im getting now
Code:
 CRITICAL: Device: /dev/ada1, FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!<br /> Device: /dev/ada1, 510 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors<br /> Device: /dev/ada1, 379 Offline uncorrectable sectors<br /> Device: /dev/ada1, Failed SMART usage Attribute: 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct.<br /> Device: /dev/ada1, 321 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

this is the command i used smartctrl -a /dev/ada0 | more
Code:
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Green
Device Model:     WDC WD10EADS-22M2B0
Serial Number:   
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 25976cb8f
Firmware Version: 01.00A01
User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s
Local Time is:    Fri May  8 23:22:46 2015 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
See vendor-specific Attribute list for failed Attributes.

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82) Offline data collection activity
                                        was completed without error.
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
                                        without error or no self-test has ever
                                        been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                (20400) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                        Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                                        Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                        command.
                                        Offline surface scan supported.
                                        Self-test supported.
                                        Conveyance Self-test supported.

im not understanding why its saying its a green hard drive the one i replaced with was a blue type unless there in the same family?

the next command i use was to check the pool status zpool status Main-Storage
Code:
zpool status Unixnet
  pool: Unixnet
state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 3h18m with 0 errors on Mon May  4 18:52:19 2015
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    Unixnet                                         ONLINE       0     0     0
      raidz2-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/18a99b8d-c546-11e4-abe0-8c89a535319b  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/196b57f0-c546-11e4-abe0-8c89a535319b  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/d7b23d70-f205-11e4-ae17-8c89a535319b  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/1a5d881c-c546-11e4-abe0-8c89a535319b  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

did i do something wrong when i replaced the bad drive ??

Forum rules are found here , as per your issues someone better suited then myself will need to assist

owner524

Dabbler
thank you hope i did everything correct
The key thing you left out, was your hardware specs. That is what really grinds every users gears here when people ask for help. Doesnt have to be anything fancy, just motherboard make/model, RAM amount make/model, raidcard ( dont use raid cards....please!)/hba used, harddrive make/model(s), what version of FreeNAS, etc

owner524

Dabbler
The key thing you left out, was your hardware specs. That is what really grinds every users gears here when people ask for help. Doesnt have to be anything fancy, just motherboard make/model, RAM amount make/model, raidcard ( dont use raid cards....please!)/hba used, harddrive make/model(s), what version of FreeNAS, etc

ok got it

danb35

Hall of Famer
this is the error im getting now
Code:
 CRITICAL: Device: /dev/ada1, FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!<br /> Device: /dev/ada1, 510 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors<br /> Device: /dev/ada1, 379 Offline uncorrectable sectors<br /> Device: /dev/ada1, Failed SMART usage Attribute: 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct.<br /> Device: /dev/ada1, 321 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

this is the command i used smartctrl -a /dev/ada0 | more
Your error is on ada1, but you checked the SMART data on ada0. You also didn't include the really relevant SMART data anyway. But nonetheless, ada1 is in bad shape and needs to be replaced.
did i do something wrong when i replaced the bad drive ??
Since this is your first mention of having replaced any drive, it's impossible to say.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm declaring this thread ended until the OP provides a suitable hardware manifest and a much clearer statement of what he did that led to the current situation. We don't want to encourage users getting away with violating the rules.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm declaring this thread ended until the OP provides a suitable hardware manifest and a much clearer statement of what he did that led to the current situation. We don't want to encourage users getting away with violating the rules.
Particularly, I'd point out that there seem to be at least two pools involved, one of which shows no signs of containing two failing drives (ada0 and ada1).

OP says he ran zpool status Main-Storage, whereas the printout clearly says "Unixnet".

So, OP, please explain everything from top to bottom, including full outputs of what's asked for in the forum rules.

rogerh

Guru
Just info for the OP - not everyone can read the signature info although they use them. There is a popular mobile app designed to make the forum harder to use than just displaying it on a mobile that omits them. Please repeat all your hardware info in the text of a message, including the interesting MSI motherboard. And repeat the smartctl -a on all drives in the relevant pool without the "| more" which truncates it before the interesting bit.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Wow, you guys are really relying on my gentle tolerant nature after declaring a thread ended... fortunately you're right, he really needs to provide all that info.

You know, @owner524 , the guys here are really anxious to help you understand and fix your problem. Imagine you wandered into a car forum and said "My car won't start and the check engine light went on". You can believe all you want that that's a sufficient problem description, but it isn't ACTUALLY sufficient. The information about the underlying system might or might not be relevant, but providing it is a small thing to ask, and that, plus a much better description of what's transpired, would help people give you a good answer.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'll just be nice and paste his spec's in here:

Ah, no. I really mean it, now, thread ended until the OP does the requested. I think it is reasonable to expect new posters to have to do some modest amount of work. Any further non-OP replies will be deleted without warning.

owner524

Dabbler
Your error is on ada1, but you checked the SMART data on ada0. You also didn't include the really relevant SMART data anyway. But nonetheless, ada1 is in bad shape and needs to be replaced.

Since this is your first mention of having replaced any drive, it's impossible to say.
THE TEST IS ON ADA1 AND THAT DRIVE WAS REPLACED

owner524

Dabbler
Particularly, I'd point out that there seem to be at least two pools involved, one of which shows no signs of containing two failing drives (ada0 and ada1).

OP says he ran zpool status Main-Storage, whereas the printout clearly says "Unixnet".

So, OP, please explain everything from top to bottom, including full outputs of what's asked for in the forum rules.
THE STORAGE IS NAMED UNIXNET I WAS JUST LETTING YOU KNOW THE COMMAND LINE THATS WHY I SAID zpool status Main-Storage

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.