Extremly slow write performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patrik

Hi,

I have searched through the forums but havent found anything that can help me sort my problem out, wich is as follows...

When i write to the disks via any variant of filecopy (smb) the speed is between 150 - 700 Kb/s!!!
I can however use ftp and via 5 parallell connections get a whooping 200 - 300 Kb/s each and so reach ca 1,5 Mb/s.

From the same setup i can, without problem, via smb stream full 1080p DTS video!!
Thats at least a read speed at around 35-40 Mb/s.

Why the big difference? :confused:
And why do i have such extreme low performance when writing to the disks?

The disks are formatted for zfs (no raid) and shared via cifs and attached at the SATA-3 ports with ahci mode enabled.
The things i have found in other questions regarding slow writespeeds; Large RW Support, Send Files with sendfile(2) and AIO, is all enabled.

Edit 2: In the disk settings I have transfermode - auto. Could this be a problem with sata3?
In the dropdown you only have SATA 1.5Gbit/s and SATA 3Gbit/s. There is no SATA 6Gbit/s.... Should I manually select SATA 3Gbit/s?
Is there any risk of loosing data on the disk if I change this setting??

The FreeNAS 8.0.1-BETA4 system is installed on a 4 GB CFcard on the VIA VT6415 controller.

Edit 1: I have upgraded to RC1 and now i get around 1,5Mb/s on averege. The issue prevails....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the following hardware configuration:

Motherboard: ASUS P8H67 REV 3.0 H67 S-1155
Processor: INTEL CORE I3 2120 3.30GHZ 3MB S-1155
Memory: 2 x Kingstone DIMM DDR3 4GB 1333MHZ CL9

Storage Controllers:
Intel® H67(B3) chipset:
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
VIA VT6415 controller:
1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices

HDD: 2 x WD CAVIAR GREEN 2TB SATA/600 64MB

Network: Gb all the way.

/Patrik

SoftDux-Rudi

Contributor
Did you align / format the drives with 4K sector support? This is also known as Advanced Format.
Some drives will perform super slow then they're not formatted with 4K sectors.

uutzinger

Dabbler
I had similar problems with about 900KB/s read and write performance on a fresh install.
First I updated bios, flashed disk controller firmware which did not improve performance.
Then I checked with dd what the internal disk performance was using the instructions in the post "Sticky: Notes on Performance, Benchamarks and Cache." I found that my disk performance is well beyond the theoretical network performance.
Then I swapped the network card and got no improvement.
Finally I bypassed the office type network switch and connected directly to building network with building supplied network cables. These go to commercial grade networking equipment.
I got >100MB/s download and something in the range of 50MB/s upload using CIFS and large files.

I conclude that either the office network switch, cables to the switch or other hardware attached to the switch are faulty and perhaps the same is true for your case.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That's a good guess. Be sure to look at your network configuration. I don't know if it shows it in the GUI (maybe a desirable feature). You can do it from the command line easily enough, just "ifconfig <foo>" or "ifconfig -a":

# ifconfig -a
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
ether 00:50:56:ae:00:1f
inet 10.1.1.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.1.1.255
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)

Notice the media is autoselected but has selected 1000bT/full, which is reasonable. It's possible for gear to autoselect stupid things, like 10bT-UTP/half.

Status
Not open for further replies.