EXTREMELY frustrating missing leave domain button - Why is there no permanent button

berrick

Explorer
I don't understand why the Devs don't provide an easy, obvious way to
  1. Re enter the Domain user creds which will allow Truenas to join a domain
  2. Have a fixed "leave Domain" button rather than one which is only present once Truenas is domain joined
This is my reason why.

Whilst looking into why the Windows shares, store on Truenas, were showing the GUID rather than Group or user name I noticed in the Truenas GUI that AD had faulted. No matter what I did I wasn't able to correct this. The reason Truenas gave for this situation was

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/activedirectory.py", line 797, in validate_credentials
    self.middleware.call_sync('kerberos.do_kinit', data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1272, in call_sync
    return self.run_coroutine(methodobj(*prepared_call.args))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1312, in run_coroutine
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 438, in result
    return self.__get_result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/_base.py", line 390, in __get_result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/kerberos.py", line 269, in do_kinit
    raise CallError(f"kinit for domain [{data['domainname']}] "
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] kinit for domain [EIS.LOCAL] with principal [EMPIRICNAS$@EIS.LOCAL] failed: kinit: Password incorrect

Now in the past, and when searching for a resolution today, I would just click the "Leave Domain" button. But how can you when its not displayed :mad:
2 hours of google foo, looking in the manuals and all I could find was click the leave domain button!!!

On the one hand TrueNAS kinds knows its domain joined but on the other it doesn't as no leave domain button

Finally After searching for Freenas cant join domain I found a post which on the very last page, page 5, there was this reply by @anodos

You have a kerberos keytab selected. If you deselect, you will be able to set a username and password.

Sure enough after deleting this entry from my config I could re enter the domain creds and get Truenas bound to my domain. So as stated in the beginning Why cant the leave domain button be permanent?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity