Extreamely slow opening files since TNC 12.0-U2

P4#0383

Dabbler
Experiencing slow connection while opening files on TNC 12.0-U2. It was also noticed on TNC 12.0 but, since the release was running on FreeBSD RC2, I was waiting for a stable release which in the TNC 12.0-U2 has been updated to FBSD 12.2, the latest release version.
I narrow it down to TNC since the issue does not occur on my Windows Server 2016 or XigmaNAS. All of them running on the same hardware configuration.
I have been monitoring TNC system and the CPU barely reaches 4% utilization and memory is still using 0.6 GiB. One more piece of data to add here; when performing packet capture, there are several open and close objects while requesting data from the storage.
Is this an issue with SAMBA and Windows 7/10? I was experiencing similar issue after moving from Windows Server 2012 to FN 11.4-U5. There is an SQLight DB that move extremely slow when it is opened. Just renaming a file it takes between 5-10 seconds. Opening a MS Word doc takes any where between 20-30 seconds. Which it is worst. Saving a files, well, File Manager goes to "No responding" mode because it is taking too long.
My network is on CAT6 Gigabit connection on the backbone and front terminals. For TNC to take as long as 30 seconds to open files seems to be some discrepancy somewhere or perhaps there is a bug.

I am thinking it is SAMBA since I have folders exported to TNC and the response is way faster. On NFS renaming or saving files is a flash. However opening files is another story. For instance opening an Excel file takes about 16sec. Even on my Linux systems accessing /mnt/PDF/ that is mount as a SMB/CIFS share, takes 15-20 sec to update the content of the export. Contrary to my Windows Server that takes nearly a sec. Can someone point me in the right direction to figure out what might be going on?

Thank you in advance for you assistance.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You might start by sharing the settings you have for the SMB service and for the share(s) in question.

You could also share the pool layout.

One last request... Stop using your "invented" acronym of FNC (it's TrueNAS Core 12, not FreeNAS Core).

P4#0383

Dabbler
You might start by sharing the settings you have for the SMB service and for the share(s) in question.

You could also share the pool layout.

One last request... Stop using your "invented" acronym of FNC (it's TrueNAS Core 12, not FreeNAS Core).

smb4.conf output is below
#
# SMB.CONF(5) The configuration file for the Samba suite
# $FreeBSD$
#

[global]
dns proxy = No
aio max threads = 2
max log size = 5120
load printers = No
printing = bsd
disable spoolss = Yes
dos filemode = Yes
kernel change notify = No
directory name cache size = 0
nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
unix charset = UTF-8
log level = 1 auth_json_audit:3@/var/log/samba4/auth_audit.log
obey pam restrictions = False
enable web service discovery = True
username map = /usr/local/etc/smbusername.map
username map cache time = 60
logging = file
server min protocol = SMB2_02
unix extensions = No
restrict anonymous = 2
server string = FreeNAS Server
bind interfaces only = Yes
netbios name = xxxxxxxxxx
netbios aliases =
server role = standalone
workgroup = xxxxxxxxxx
idmap config *: backend = tdb
idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
registry shares = yes
include = registry

Partial output from testparm:

# Global parameters
[global]
aio max threads = 2
bind interfaces only = Yes
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No
enable web service discovery = Yes
kernel change notify = No
load printers = No
logging = file
max log size = 5120
nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g
registry shares = Yes
restrict anonymous = 2
server role = standalone server
server string = FreeNAS Server
unix extensions = No
username map = /usr/local/etc/smbusername.map
username map cache time = 60
idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000
idmap config * : backend = tdb
directory name cache size = 0
dos filemode = Yes

In regard to the folders, I would think that would be irrelevant since, they are all behaving on the same manner. Except where ASCII files exist which they open very much immediately. BTW, the server resources have been hardly modified. I am guessing I can go through the configuration and tweak it a bit and see if I can gain more performance.

As per your request, all changed!

Thank you for your assistance.

sretalla