External restoration of encrypted cloud sync files

only1miller

Cadet
Good afternoon all,

I searched the forum but didn't see anything relating to the following question. If my search skills were lacking, please accept my apology in advance.

Here's my question:

When using Cloud Sync on TrueNas 12 I've enabled the option to encrypt data client-side before it gets pushed to the cloud provider (I'm using Wasabi). I am not using file name encryption. I can see the files and folder structure created on the Wasabi bucket with a .bin appended to the end of each file (so I know TrueNas CloudSync with encryption is working).

Is it possible to recover encrypted .bin files outside of TrueNas if I have both the encryption password and salt codes? The idea being if my TrueNas server dies completely, would it be possible to restore some or all of the files outside of the TrueNas envrionment? Or would it require the building of a new server in order to restore data from the cloud sync using a PULL? I imagine this would require the use of the TrueNas encryption mechanism outside of the system itself. I'm not a cryptographer so I'm a bit fuzzy on how the encryption is actually applied to the files.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Jason