Extend single disk to RAIDZ without losing data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkme

Contributor
Just wondering, I have a 2 TB disk which I use single right now almost 3/4 full with data.

Can I add 2 x 2 TB disks and get a single-parity RAIDZ (raidz) configuration at 3 disks (2+1) without losing my data on it?

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
Nope.

Longer answer, still no. Not from the GUI and not from the command line.

There are tricks experts can do to make something similar happen. But, if you can't figure it out on your own, it's too complicated to walk someone through remotely. Meaning you could loose your data, which none of us want.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It is possible (though still tricky, but considerably less dangerous) to turn your single-disk pool into a two-disk mirror. That doesn't buy you anything in terms of capacity, but it does give you redundancy.

Edit: I'd also note that there's no such thing as "single-disk RAIDZ" as your thread title suggests.

Last edited:

dirkme

Contributor
It is possible (though still tricky, but considerably less dangerous) to turn your single-disk pool into a two-disk mirror. That doesn't buy you anything in terms of capacity, but it does give you redundancy.

Edit: I'd also note that there's no such thing as "single-disk RAIDZ" as your thread title suggests.

It says"extent single disk" should have said:" extent single disk to :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.