Expansion Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Let me ask this:
Is there a way for me to use each drive as an independant unit, but expose them as one logical drive to all clients?
Rational:
They are all just movies that I have collected. The movies can be replaced, but I don't want to have to replace them all (entire zpool).
I do have the tolerance to replace 1 drives worth of lost movies.
This would allow me to use all available disk space & just loose what was on that individual drive.

Let me know your thoughts.
This is not the way FreeNAS is designed to work. FreeNAS uses ZFS and ZFS is intended to prevent the kind of data loss you describe through redundancy. You could configure all 24 drives as a RAIDz3 pool and you would only loose 3 drives to redundancy. This would give you the most space with the least number of drives dedicated to redundancy. It would not be optimal from a performance standpoint, but it would work.
RAIDz3 allows as many as 3 drives to fail without data loss, but I would suggest that drives be replaced when they fail. Don't count on hot having another drive fail while the first is being replaced.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Right, that is not what I am looking for.
I'm looking for a way for Freenas to expose a bunch of drives as one logical unit.
So basically 20 drives got be exposed as one share and all appear to be on 1 drive.
That is how FreeNAS works. You can add another vdev to your existing pool to expand the storage. The vdev should (as a best practice) include redundant disks to prevent vdev failure; because a vdev failure is a pool failure. That is catastrophic data loss.
It is not possible (using ZFS) to join individual disks together as a single storage space and have a single disk failure only destroy the data on that disk because ZFS spreads writes across all the devices in the pool. Your file does not exist on a single disk, it is written as data blocks and the blocks are distributed among the disks.
If you have 24 disks in a pool, not every disk may receive a block from a given file, but it is guaranteed that the data will be split into enough blocks that the redundancy level is maintained. That is why small files are so difficult to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.