Case is Full - How to add an external storage racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

we7313

Dabbler
I see ebay listings for external racks.
How hard is it to integrate one of these units into my existing server?
I've never worked with a rack like this. Does it have its own processor & I only need to connect an Ethernet cable?
Or do I need to add some proprietary card to my server and connect a cable to the device?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Promise-VT...Bay-Storage-Array-VTJ830s-No-HDD/263704790633

My current motherboard:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O Micro ATX Server
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182821

Thanks,
We7313

kdragon75

Wizard
You would need an HBA with external SAS ports. Something like a cross flashed Dell H200E would be perfect. You would then use an SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cable to connect the enclosure to the card. From there, the drives should just show up. Simple.

EDIT: You could use just one cable or use one to each IO module on the back of the enclosure and have two paths to each disk for redundancy.

we7313

Dabbler
On the back of the Promise-VT there is an input with a Diamond and a circle. Do I just run 2 SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cables from the Dell H200E to the Circle and the Diamond of the Promise-VT?
If so, sounds pretty easy.
Also, do you know if these racks are as easy as me Just buying a SATA drive and popping it into the slot (no additional cables or power cables needed)?
Thanks for your help.

kdragon75

Wizard
On the back of the Promise-VT there is an input with a Diamond and a circle. Do I just run 2 SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cables from the Dell H200E to the Circle and the Diamond of the Promise-VT?
If so, sounds pretty easy.
Also, do you know if these racks are as easy as me Just buying a SATA drive and popping it into the slot (no additional cables or power cables needed)?
Thanks for your help.
You may want to look up the manual on the shelf to determine which port to use. Otherwise, you MAY need specific screws (low profile heads) to fit but otherwise, yes. Mount the drive in the sled and slide it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.