Expanding a TrueNAS Mini XL+?

trekkie

Dabbler
I have a TrueNAS Mini XL+ that has 8x 18TB drives in it. I'm running low on space, and would like to expand it. It has a PCIe slot, so in theory could an LSI 8e be put in there and then add an external enclosure with another 8 drives?

Does that work with this model? I'm not finding a lot fo details on it other than the basic info.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hey @trekkie

We actually had a report from a Mini X+ user regarding adding a SAS expander card:

While it was successful for this customer, iX hasn't validated these cards from a power draw or cooling perspective, so we can't guarantee it.

Thanks!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
We actually had a report from a Mini X+ user regarding adding a SAS expander card:

This has been discussed before in the forums as well. You have to make sure there's sufficient airflow over the HBA, and this is apparently a bit tricky in some of the Mini's.

Arwen

MVP
There are external enclosures that can work with HBAs that have external SAS / SATA connections:
Note that I have no connection to that company, nor do I know anything else beyond what is said in the product description.

When using external SATA enclosures such as the above, you MUST keep the cables short as reasonably possible. While SAS protocol can support longer cables, when the external enclosure does not support a SAS Expander, the SAS controller chip's disk ports change to be SATA. Thus, the 1 meter limit, (though 0.5 meters is better).

Of course, if you use SAS drives in the above enclosure, then longer cables can be used.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I would be really careful re the mini XL and airflow. Mine cooked its drives in their own juices during scrubs and airflow over the Chelsio 520 or whatever ixsystems is private-labeling as a SFP+!interface wasn’t great either. Instead, I would counsel a case upgrade.