Is there a mini PCIe HBA controller?

radiroach

Cadet
I'm trying to find a purpose for some Qotom 1U Industrial PCs that i have lying around. I have one running OPNsense and I love it.

For the second one I was thinking of spinning up a TrueNAS server. The PC has mSata, Sata and mini PCIe interfaces. I'm currenlty using the mSata to boot the OS off of a mSata SSD.

I'd like to add some external storage to this. Optimally it would be a JBOD enclosure. However, I'm having a hard time finding an enclosure and HBA controller that would work with this board.

I did find this Mini PCIe to 4x Sata Converter, but I'm really looking for more of a single cable to a JBOD enclosure type solution.

Does anyone know of any enclosures and corresponding HBA controllers that would work for this setup?

artlessknave

Wizard
TrueNAS is not that purpose.
  1. pretty sure there is not enough room on a mPCIe card for an HBA *at all*. you would have to get some kind of mPCIe to PCIe adapter and McGuyver it somehow, but none of that would fit in one of these things, so you would be laying parts all over the place.
  2. this is not supported hardware. the NIC is known to be a pain to get working at times.
  3. the MAX RAM is woefully inadequate for zfs. Single Channel DDR3L 1333/1600MHz SDRAM, Max Support to 8G
  4. the CPU is woefully inadequate for basically anything. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+3215U+@+1.70GHz&id=2723. I'm genuinely surprised opnsense even works well on it (does it even work well? or does it "work" - anyway, pfsense/OPNsense are FAR and away less demanding hardware wise than TrueNAS).
UNLESS this is purely for testing/experimention, you would be much better off using them for OPNsense HA and getting some hardware for truenas that isn't so inadequate.