Existing SMB share on NAS linked to Scale?

SecCon

Contributor
I have a NAS that runs SMB3 and has for years. It is my main backup. How do I link that in to Scale as a storage resource? Or is it only possible to link that as a backup device via Rsync or Syncthing or similar.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You might find NFS will work better.

You can set up a script that mounts the share as a postinit.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
In latest BlueFin we have ability to use webui to create an SMB share as a DFS redirect to a share on another SMB server. In this case you need to create a new share with the path EXTERNAL:<ip address of other server>\share

Or at least backend supports it and webui should allow passing this through.
This is backend CI test.

CAVEAT: this only allows a DFS redirect to the other server. Data will _not_ be stored on TrueNAS at all.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In latest BlueFin we have ability to use webui to create an SMB share as a DFS redirect to a share on another SMB server. In this case you need to create a new share with the path EXTERNAL:<ip address of other server>\share

Or at least backend supports it and webui should allow passing this through.
I think the intention was to use the external storage as a data path for some apps running on the TrueNAS box, so not exactly the DFS/redirect you mention here... or can it even work for local apps to follow the DFS link?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I think the intention was to use the external storage as a data path for some apps running on the TrueNAS box, so not exactly the DFS/redirect you mention here... or can it even work for local apps to follow the DFS link?
Oh, local mounts of remote SMB storage are not supported. I misread the question perhaps. The DFS redirect is more of something potentially useful in enterprise / business environments when you're shifting storage location from one share to another (and want to catch any straggler clients that haven't been moved over yet).

SecCon

Contributor
The intention was to see if I would be able to map an existing SMB to Scale, just as I would map it to a Windows client.

I should mention that I will of course create a share on Scale and map it to my clients and since all my relevant clients are windows it has to be NFS or SMB. But I can not do anything about existing SMB storages (like converting to NFS) until that is done and working.

Don't even know if that can be done on my Asustor NAS. Checking. Yes it can, in fact it was already enabled. I just need to be careful testing this

@sretalla I am not a friend of scripts. Either it can be done in the interface or I will probably not do it.
After reading a number of SMB vs NFS texts a bit fast, I see no reason to use NFS, then again there seem to be no big drawbacks either. No one uses Linux as desktop in my network.

Last edited: