ESATA controllers - are they all bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eccevery

Dabbler
I feel like I'm about to ask a question that's been answered before, but I've been googling for a while and can't find it: Is there a accepted esata controller for FreeNAS? Or are they all undersirable?

Port multipliers are bad. That's fine, I don't need them. But I could really use eSATA. This is for personal use. I have used FreeNAS for years at home. It's awesome. And now I also have a FreeNAS server at work. It's a HP DL380, a 2U rack server, and it's not easily replaced or modified. But it does have free PCIe slots, and I have a few WD RED drives over, but they dont fit inside the case. I imagined 2 drives connected to ESATA, mirrored, and then rsync my server to that volume. I want to do it properly though, if eSATA requires workarounds, ugly hacks or are just not recommended, I'll go for some other solution.

pro lamer

Guru
You may consider a forum-recommended HBA card plus an eSATA bracket... Check @Arwen's resource for the bracket - if I recall correctly she uses one...

Sent from my mobile phone

Ender117

Patron
Is this only temporary? Then why not just use internal cables through a open pcie slot?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What are you looking to accomplish here? If you want a permanent solution for adding capacity, you need a proper SAS HBA and an external SAS enclosure. I can point you at the hardware if you need direction.

eccevery

Dabbler
Thanks for the feedback. It's not temporary, I want this to work as my off-site backup solution in case the house burns down. You guys are more than welcome to recommend hardware. I'm thought maybe you could hook up HDDs to a eSATA controller and that would be a quick-and-easy solution.

Thought I would prefer SAS, if it's just for a couple of drives you should be fine with eSATA, get a 2 port Asmedia 1061 based controller, they are usually reliable and work fine with FreeNAS, avoid Marvell as some controllers could have issues, also keep the eSATA cables as small as possible.

eccevery

Dabbler
Thought I would prefer SAS, if it's just for a couple of drives you should be fine with eSATA, get a 2 port Asmedia 1061 based controller, they are usually reliable and work fine with FreeNAS, avoid Marvell as some controllers could have issues, also keep the eSATA cables as small as possible.

Wow, a $10 solution? :eek: Definitely worth a shot.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Wow, a $10 solution? :eek: Definitely worth a shot.
I used a pair of these connected by eSATA on one of my early FreeNAS builds. They did work reliably as long as nobody messed with the cables. The included fans helped to keep the drives cool which is a problem with many of the external enclosures, no cooling. I still use the enclosures connected to my desktop so I can connect random drives without needing to open the case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Ve...PATA-External-Desktop-Hard-Drive/202297836339

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Arwen

MVP
One solution I used for my old Opteron server, was to use an external SAS to 4 x eSATA cables, (1/2 meter long). The internal SAS host ports went to my internal SAS 15K RPM disks, and one external port to my DVD-ROM drive for moving my media to my media server. Not many LSI SAS cards have both internal and external connectors, but I looked hard.

Remember, SAS host ports turn into SATA host port when connected to SATA devices.

pro lamer

Guru
You may also give a 12V eSATAp bracket (like this https://www.amazon.com/JIUWU-Desktop-Computer-Converter-Expansion/dp/B01LXA35Z2) a try but:
  1. I don't use any so I don't know which are reliable
  2. You may not be able to connect a fan
The advantage is that you don't need any external power source. Just make sure your PSU is powerful enough and buy a eSATAp 12V to 22-pin SATA cable (similar to this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5V-Pow...381194&hash=item417fb7da6f:g:js4AAOSwQG5Zw2BZ but it's just an example, I'm not familiar with its reliability).

Last edited:

eccevery

Dabbler
You guys are awesome! I didn't know eSATAp existed, that's definitely interesting. Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You guys are awesome! I didn't know eSATAp existed, that's definitely interesting. Thanks!
eSATAp only works with devices that are designed to use the power that it provides, like that special cable that @pro lamer pointed out, otherwise it is just plain eSATA.

Arwen

MVP
eSATAp only works with devices that are designed to use the power that it provides, like that special cable that @pro lamer pointed out, otherwise it is just plain eSATA.
Yes, but you can also get eSATAp splitters. I had one. It turned an eSATAp cable into a eSATA + 5volt barrel connector. Been years since I thought of that device...

pro lamer

Guru
Note that 3.5" disks need both 12V and 5V though.

UPDATE:
eSATAp splitters. I had one. It turned an eSATAp cable into a eSATA + 5volt barrel connector.
Do you use the barrel to power the HDD from an external power adapter or to power a fan/disk enclosure from a PC with an eSATAp port? In other words (but not very accurate): do you use it as a breakout cable or a reverse breakout cable? In other words: what way do you use the splitter?

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
Do you use the barrel to power the HDD from an external power adapter or to power a fan/disk enclosure from a PC with an eSATAp port? In other words (but not very accurate): do you use it as a breakout cable or a reverse breakout cable? In other words: what way do you use the splitter?
Now that I think more about it, it may have been an external 2.5" hard disk enclosure I was trying to power. Since I did not have any eSATAp ports, I used the dual USB type A to barrel cable the enclosure came with, when I used it's eSATA capabilities. (Note 2.5" disks tend to be 5 volt only, no 12 volt needed.)
But don't quote me. I still don't have any eSATAp ports, (5 volt only, or 5+12 volt). So I don't follow that technology. Just letting you know it still may exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.