Error wiping drive before adding to new volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakenaked

Cadet
Heyo,

I am new to FreeNAS and have been having some trouble with my new setup.

After building a new NAS box I set up a 3 x 3TB zfs pool / dataset. Everything is working 100% fine with it.
Previously I was running a Win2k8 server that contained two 3TB and a 750GB HDD. I was able to mount the old NTFS drives and copy over information, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to mount NTFS drives in FreeNAS. I didn't have quite enough free space in the new ZFS pool for all of the data, so my plan was to copy all that I could to the new drives, then wipe one of the 3TB drives and convert it to a ZFS, then copy the remaining data over to that. I could then wipe the other 3TB drive and, if possible, mirror it with the first of the old NTFS drives or just use both of the old 3TB drives as unreliable extra storage.

The specific problem I am having is wiping the NTFS drives after they have been imported. When I go to the ZFS volume manager and attempt to add either the 750GB or the empty 3TB drive to a new pool I get the following messages:

Code:
Aug 23 13:43:00 freenas notifier: swapoff: /dev/ada2p1.eli: No such file or directory
Aug 23 13:43:00 freenas notifier: swapoff: /dev/ada4p1.eli: No such file or directory
Aug 23 13:43:00 freenas notifier: swapoff: /dev/ada5p1.eli: No such file or directory
Aug 23 13:43:00 freenas notifier: dd: /dev/ada1: Operation not permitted
Aug 23 13:43:00 freenas notifier: dd: /dev/ada1: Operation not permitted
Aug 23 13:43:00 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Unable to GPT format the disk "ada1"]

And if I simply go to "View Disks" and try to wipe either drive I get:

Code:
Aug 23 13:44:58 freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Failed to wipe ada1p2: dd: /dev/ada1p2: Operation not permitted ]

I am at a bit of a stalemate right now since I have two useless drives and one drive that still has data that needs to be transferred. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Right.

What I would suggest doing here, mount those drives on Windows (or linux), and go into the disk management screen and manually destroy all partitions.

There are (many) cases where a pre-existing partition table causes the drive to fail to capitate to a ZFS vdev in FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

esamett

Patron
I had similar problem. I failed with FreeNAS and Windows wipe. I had to use either GParted or Seagate drive utilities to wipe drive. I think I had to use the long version. The quick wipe may not have worked. Then all was fine. There is stuff that the regular wipes don't remove which gives FreeNAS indigestion. Good Luck

Jakenaked

Cadet
Awesome, that definitely did the trick. I just booted into a live linux session and Gparted away the old partitions.

I am very grateful for the help, thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.