Error while creating the CDROM device

robert stroz

Dabbler
Hello i am trying out TrueNAS SCALE not having very much luck - The main use i want to use it for to replace two PC with VMs
but when i try to make a VM i get this message every time ------ HELP PLS

Error while creating the CDROM device. [EINVAL] attributes.path: 'libvirt-qemu' user cannot read from '/mnt/MAIN POOL/Storage/TEST/lubuntu-18.04-alternate-amd64.iso' path. Please ensure correct permissions are specified.

I tried to give permissions to libvirt-qemu user to my IOS folder that did nothing

robert stroz

Dabbler
Here is the exact error that pops up

Error while creating the CDROM device. [EINVAL] attributes.path: 'libvirt-qemu' user cannot read from '/mnt/MAIN POOL/Storage/TEST/lubuntu-18.04-alternate-amd64.iso' path. Please ensure correct permissions are specified.

robert stroz

Dabbler
I found out how to fix it - if anyone has this problem
I created a group for my SMB user and added libvirt-qemu to the group now it works :}

Massako

Cadet
I found out how to fix it - if anyone has this problem
I created a group for my SMB user and added libvirt-qemu to the group now it works :}
I'm encountering the same problem and I tried a few different things but im not really sure exactly what you mean by this? like did you make a local group for libvert-qemu or make something under the main user which has access to your smb share? I'm just not sure exactly what permissions work since i tried giving everyone permission to my smb share but even with that I still cannot create any virtual machines on TN scale.

Adrian N

Cadet
For anybody who has found these post later like me, I found another solution that seemd to work.
I moved the ISO out of where I wanted to keep it and then when setting up the VM I ticked the box to "Upload" the ISO and told it to store it where I wanted it stored. It copied the ISO to the place I wanted it stored and seemed to set the permisions for it correctly. I was then able to access the newly created ISO and have it mount correctly.
I'm not sure if this will work for everone but it is worth a try.