Error when I add a disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfredo22

Cadet
Hello,

Just to indicate you a problem : I try Freenas V8 and when I add a disk I have this error message : "donnees /mnt/donnees Error getting used space (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space ONLINE" but the disk it's not online.

I used this version of FreeNas V8 : FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386.iso

Regards

Alfredo22

B

Bohs Hansen

most likely cause the order of the disks (for the OS) has changed. Known issue. Can't remember if its fixed in beta3 yet or not.

alfredo22

Cadet
Hello,

Thanks for your reply, I tested the version "beta 3" but the problem is always present, the error message is different (see the attachements) freenas - FreeNAS-8.0-n1.jpg freenas - FreeNAS-8.0.jpg .

You see the configuration about the disk "ada1" and the reply.

I do this test with virtualbox (last version); when I try virtualbox with "FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386.iso" I have the same error as indicated yesterday "donnees /mnt/donnees Error getting used space (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space ONLINE".

I conclude that "virtualbox" work correctly.

Regards.

Alfredo22

sjieke

Contributor
You need disks of minimum 3GB, as FreeNAS creates a swap partition of 2GB on each disk. That is why you get the failed partitioning. Prior to beta3 it also failed, but without giving an error. That's why you get the 'Error get space' messages using the 'RELEASE' version.

I encountered the same problem when testing under Virtualbox, increasing my disks to 3 or 4GB solved the issue.

alfredo22

Cadet
Hello,

At sjieke : thanks for your information, it corrected my problem.

Exactly for the "beta 3", the error "Error getting used space" is always present.

Alfredo22

davearrrrr

Cadet
This issue could really use a little more publicity. The error handling is kind of sad. Am I strange ?

Flapinux

Cadet
This appears to still be broken in the final release (FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386)

I just built my first freenas box & every drive I try to add a UFS or ZFS volume, it gives me the following error:
Error getting used space (Error) Error getting available space Error getting total space Error
Via P4M800 chipset MB (P4 2.6, 1gb ram - can add more for ZFS if I get it working)
OS - FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
Build - FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386
Things I've tried:
2 dif't SATA controller as well as IDE drives
Fresh Install
Deleting partitions on the drives before creating the volume

UPDATE: I finally got it to work... I used an unopened new Hard Drive & it popped right up. At the suggestion of MrJay in IRC - I believe to use a disk in FreeNAS we need to LLF the things b4 creating the volume.

ProtoSD

MVP
Flapinux, you're right. The reason this happens, especially if you've used the disk in a pool before and are rebuilding a new pool is because the old partition information is still on the disk. With GPT (General Partition Table) formatted disks, there is also partition information stored near the end of the disk, so wiping just the beginning may not fix the problem. Someone made a suggestion in another thread on how to clear just the beginning and end of the disk. I'll see if I can find that post and update this post with a link.

UDPATE: Here's a link to the post that tells you how to wipe/zero your disk without doing the whole disk.

Wiping GPT Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.