Error: permission denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangopango

Contributor
I can't get Transmission to work with the latest FreeNAS

It says error: permission denied when it finds a torrent in the "watching" directory and tries to download it

kdragon75

Wizard
Try searching the forum. I know Transmission permissions come up all the time and get resolved.

rangopango

Contributor
None of the solutions worked and the search function has been broken for 2 months. Maybe you should try using it to see if it works before telling others to use it.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I didn't want to be rude, being not a native speaker. I just wanted to give a hint how to use an external search engine to find a solution.

kdragon75

Wizard
I used Google before creating the thread because none of the solutions worked
Before we can suggest more "solutions" it may be helpful to know what you have tried. I don't want to have you try the same things over and over.

kdragon75

Wizard
Ok thanks. I just want to be clear on your question. Is the error pertaining to reading the torrent file in the watch folder or writing the download to disk. If the former, please elaborate on how/where your torrent files are getting to the watch folder. If the latter, are you "mapping" storage to the jail or just downloading directly to the jails file system/dataset?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

kdragon75

Wizard
There's only one person that's been rude in this thread and that's you. I understand you are frustrated with your problem but there's no need to take it out on others trying to help you.

Have you tried this thread?

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

Edit: Found with the search function BTW.......
I get just as annoyed as anyone else when people cant be bothered to learn something new to help themselves but lets stay on track. Also he did site that post as something he tried. Lets get more information and move forward from there.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Oops I missed that. That's the go to thread for plugin permissions so if that's not working then I'm out.

gt2416

Patron
just chown the permissions you want from cmd line, its not how things are meant to be done but it will work. At least to test if the files really dont have the right permissions..regardless of what user your plugin is running on www must have permissions for the watch folder.

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
just chown the permissions you want from cmd line, its not how things are meant to be done but it will work. At least to test if the files really don't have the right permissions..regardless of what user your plugin is running on www must have permissions for the watch folder.
Your assuming he knows to do this inside the jail. Jail permissions are confusing to a lot of people.

countach1

Cadet
You might need to update the directory it looks at to the transmission user.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gt2416

Patron
You might need to update the directory it looks at to the transmission user.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yea exactly, or WWW. Either works, I just tested it right now to make sure.

Moppen

Dabbler
Hi there,

I am reusing the thread because the topic is so topical.

I have that problem, too, but my configuration worked for years now, but suddenly -and I can't recall making any changes to it- stopped.

But step-by-step:

Since a couple of days I get that error in Transmission:
Code:
Persion Denied (/media/Torrent/Downloads/A fun Download.mkv)

So I checked The Permissions for that Directory:
Code:
[root@transmission_1 /media/Torrent]# ls -l
total 142
drwxrwxr-x+ 28 root  wheel  34 May 23 20:09 Downloads
drwxrwxr-x+ 26 root  wheel  26 May 24 01:51 Incomplete
drwxrwxr-x+  4 1001  wheel   4 Sep  1  2017 Temp
drwxrwxr-x+  2 root  wheel   2 Jun  2  2016 Torrentfiles

... and If the User running Transmission, is still transmisson:
Code:
  PID USERNAME	  THR PRI NICE   SIZE	RES STATE   C   TIME	WCPU COMMAND
92018 transmission	4  20	0   144M 34344K kqread  3   1:01   0.00% transmission-daemon

... at least if have checked if the User transmission is in the group wheel, so he can Read, Write and eXecute in the mentioned Directory:
Code:
[root@transmission_1 /media/Torrent]# groups transmission
transmission wheel

So I really don't see any reason why the Error occurs? Has anyone elese an idea or what to check?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.