SOLVED Unable to save resume file: Permission denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

azza_gbag

Cadet
I've seen a few posts about this. I had no problems with transmission until I started playing with the uid/gid of my zfs volumes. Turns out I accidentally ran "chown -r" on too high a directory and clobbered the permissions in my jail. I could start torrents but they would stop with weird, non-specific "Permission Denied" errors. The most tell-tale one was "Unable to save resume file: Permission denied".

Transmission lives under /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64 in the jail's root directory. It seems to store resume data along with other internal state under/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/. If it can't write to to these, bad things happen.

This had nothing to do with umask issues as other posts had suggested. I guess this could happen if you tried to run your jail on a filesystem that doesn't support proper posix permissions. On those systems, setting chmod 777 would probably let transmission write to it's config files but I'd seriously stop and question the quality/security of your setup if you have to resort to such measures.

azza_gbag

Cadet
Depends on whether you've clobbered the permissions on a reasonable filesystem or done something weird.
In my case, I first did something like this inside the jail:
# chmod -R ug+rw /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/
Not sure if I had to add execute permission to directories or not. Was a long time ago now!

aran kaspar

Explorer
Can I get you any log files or anything?

I've reinstalled Trans. after deleted the dataset and all that. Still no luck.

Really itchin to get this working. Totally understand if it's been too long for you to remember. Any ideas though?

aran kaspar

Explorer
Got it working after a reboot after reinstalling. Sorry to bug man.
Thought I'd put this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.