ERROR: no interface specified and a default doesn't exist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

munificent

Explorer
I am using FreeNAS 9.1.1 Release, and have been trying to muck around with the new jail system since RC1, always presenting with this error when I try to create a jail in either simple or advanced mode.

Going first to the Jail Configuration page, I am specifying a path to the Jail Root and have tried both jails and another dataset with the same error message. Beneath is the box 'IPv4 Network'. The manual tells me that FreeNAS will auto-fill this box for me. Well it never did, making me suspect this may be the point of the problem.

As the documentation for this is very unclear, I put in the address of my router, in this case 192.168.0.1/24, and then a range of 30 addresses for the jails from 192.168.0.69/24 to 192.168.0.99/24 that should never cause conflict.

FreeNAS accepted this configuration so I went to try and make a jail.

When I clicked on advanced mode I noticed that FreeNAS wanted to assign 192.168.0.27 to the jail. I have no idea where it took that value from, but that's what it wanted, so that's what I let it try and create. Hey presto, the error:
  • ERROR: no interface specified and a default doesn't exist!
appears.

I have tried multiple jail types, a corrected address within the parameters specified, and I have sacrificed a goat. I can't tell where the issue is, and I have no clue why FreeNAS won't make me jails anymore.

Can anyone help?

D

dlavigne

First, what is your goal? If it is to use the (relatively few atm) FreeNAS PBIs, use Plugins as that mechanism takes care of all of this for you.

I am specifying a path to the Jail Root and have tried both jails and another dataset with the same error message.

If the software you want to install requires you to create a jail, what error message are you getting?

It sounds like you are misunderstanding the "IPv4 Network" field in the screen in http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Jails_Configuration. This is not an IP address, but an indication of the network/subnet the jail(s) you create reside on. If so, this cheat sheet may help: http://www.aelius.com/njh/subnet_sheet.html.

So, if you are aiming for 30 addresses, you want a /27 and a better address range would be 192.168.0.65-192.168.0.95. So, the network would be 192.168.0.64/27. Though, 192.168.0.0/24 would also work.

munificent

Explorer
Thank you for the reply. My goal here is to setup a jail that can run both FreeNAS PBIs but also the new PC-BSD PBIs. Specifically, I want to put the QBitTorrent client onto the machine. It is worth noting, though, that I have tried to setup both types of jail and met the same error with whatever I try to setup.

The error message I am getting is:
NB - to provide a bit more clarify on this point, FreeNAS will install the 'warden' gubbins behind the scene before it spits this error back at me.

Thank you for the cheat sheet. That does help me understand this field, as does your comment. I think the official documentation regarding this particular field could use a lot more exposition. One of the great strengths of FreeNAS is in simplifying complex tasks so that regular users can understand them. I think the jails documentation and presentation atm is a rare example of this not being the case.

Anyway, I deleted the warden datasets from the two locations I had previously tried to install a jail (getting the above error) for a fresh go. I then changed my IPv4 Network field to 192.168.0.64/27. I saved this configuration with the starting Network range of 192.168.0.65/24 and the end Network range of 192.168.0.94/24. FreeNAS then changed both those values to end with a /27. Ok, that seems like it's correcting a mistake on my part. So far, so good.

I then go to create a jail in either basic or advanced mode and am hit by a new error:
  • cannot open 'HeadNet/jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64@clean': dataset does not exist ERROR: Failed creating clean ZFS base clone
I suppose this is progress of a sort. I know the dataset does not exist as I just deleted it. However, when I created a jail before, FreeNAS created the dataset for me. Now it is not doing that, and I don't know why not. Secondly, when creating a jail in advanced mode using the above configuration (and bearing in mind my default router connection is 192.168.0.1/24) I am unsure what to enter for the IPv4 Default Gateway.

So, in summary, I have swapped one problem for another problem!

D

dlavigne

Post a screenshot of your Jails -> Configuration screen.

munificent

Explorer
Jails config screen here:

TDKq9yG.jpg

Jail add dialogue here:

9LpAIu7.jpg

D

dlavigne

Did you browse to /mnt/HeadNet/jails or type it in? The specified dataset must exist.

munificent

Explorer
Bumping this as I'm still not able to make jails, and I'm pretty sure that's not working as intended :smile:

heavenhated

Dabbler
Did you set up a IP in global configuration.

Network setting> Global Configurations > IPv4 gateway> 192.168.0.1/24

This will get rid of this message "
What is the ifconfig throwing up for the Jail.
Can you ping the jail from say a PC connected to the router?
I am going through similar set up problem and i have crossed the point where i am able to reach the Jail but having issues with IP config.

munificent

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I setup my IP in global configuration (which I had not previously done) and saved it. That got rid of the error message as you said it would. Great.

I then deleted the datasets that were returning the error of:

• cannot open 'HeadNet/jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64@clean': dataset does not exist ERROR: Failed creating clean ZFS base clone
and made a new, completely fresh dataset. I then went to make a portjail. I succeeded in making one! Good. Here is what I see on the jail config screen for the new jail:

eobh8DU.jpg

NB - When I first made this jail, the IPv4 bridge address field was blank. When I went to the FreeNAS shell and typed 'jls', the IP address field was coming up empty. So I manually entered a value for the bridge, trying both 24 and 27 as variants after the slash. In both instances, JLS reported the IP Address as just '-'.

So, I call up a command prompt window from my PC, and ping to 192.168.0.70. I get a response! The network can see it.

Here is the ifconfig within the jail:

RQvWQTY.jpg

I'll be honest here: I don't really know what to make of that output. I am curious as to whether or not I have a working jail now, though. Typing in

pbi_add -r qbittorrent

Returned "Could not find "qbittorrent" in any indeces. So then I tried using mencoder, as it was the example typed in the documentation, and it returned the same error. So I think my jail cannot talk to the outside internet.

Got to say, for a supposedly simplified jail system, I am having a hell of a lot of trouble getting this one going compared to the old 8.X jail approach. Maybe I'm just having bad luck?

rm-r

Contributor
Hi, sorry i know thread is oldish but it helped me fix a very similar issue.

i changed my LAN from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x (change of modem router) so then when deleting jails i got the same issue as OP - to fix this i edited the default route BACK to 192.168.2.1 - deleted the jails - then corrected default route BACK to 192.168.2.1 and installed the jails agian

it also stopped all the

Code:
manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:473] Couldn't retrieve http://192.168.x.x/plugins/owncloud/6/_s/treemenu: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway

from coming up in the logs!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.